Apex or Apex Jr.?

Todd

I'm trying to learn more about the apex controllers. If I get the less expensive Apex Jr. can I add all the same expansions as the regular Apex? I guess I'm trying to figure which would be better to start with keeping in mind I would be upgrading as time goes.

Thanks in advance.

jessesoto33

Supporter
depends if you have a nano or a large display tank. I have used a Jr. for years and it worked fine for starters. I would say apex jr. for up to 200g tank. What about you guys?

well the JR new firmware allows for up to 7 moduels now aside from diplay i think so its alot more useful. I have the JR on my 125, i have display, wxm, eb8, thats it when i upgrade to a 240 ill provably get another eb8.

row12

If you are planning on running a calcium reactor I would go with the regular Apex since it has dual ports for PH probes. Other wise you would have to add the PM1 module to the Apex Jr to add additional PH ports.

jessesoto33

Supporter
If you are planning on running a calcium reactor I would go with the regular Apex since it has dual ports for PH probes. Other wise you would have to add the PM1 module to the Apex Jr to add additional PH ports.
+1....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd

what are your plans for it
Mostly being able to monitor my tank when I'm away. I'd like a reliable temperature reading. I like that I can get quick readings of salinity and ph and hopefully other parameters (not sure what else I can monitor with the apex). I don't plan on getting a calcium reactor.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
Mostly being able to monitor my tank when I'm away. I'd like a reliable temperature reading. I like that I can get quick readings of salinity and ph and hopefully other parameters (not sure what else I can monitor with the apex). I don't plan on getting a calcium reactor.
well looks like you are going to need more than 4 outlets so i would go with full on. one thing i learn in this hobby is buy it once and cry once.

BeanMachine

Supporter
If you can afford it, just get the full version. One of the nice things about the apex is you can get pretty good value if you resell it as everyone wants one.

I have the .Jr. I also have a seperate light controller with its own power supplies. As someone said previously, its best to plan ahead as this hobby will expand what you think you will need. My tank is 188 with 60 gal refugium. I use the Apex Jr. for control of my reactors,skimmer but mostly I like the temp and then I had to get another module to run ph. I didn't think of that ahead of time, but I didn't have to put out the expense of the Apex with more features initially. Consider your budget and what you 'think' you will want to monitor in the distant future.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Now for the most difficult part of all. Selling this to the wife. Haha. Thanks again.
Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, just a thought... oh and damage the box so u can't return it hahaha

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Go with the full. Watch for one used if you can wait for it and it will save you money. I bought mine with my 75 gallon and it was the best investment I have ever made for my tank. Love it and I log into all the time to make minor tweaks and adjustments when needed. It has also saved my ars once when I was out of town. Woke up to a temp alarm and my heater failed. I was able to call my tank sitter and direct him to my back up heater and how to connect it before the tank got to cold and I lost everything.