Sump Cleaning Tips and Maintenance advice...

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
Please tell us more bout this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
they sell a vaccum at hd that fit in 5 gallon soy sauce bucket or one of their orange 5 gallon buckets. its cheaper than a dry vac the hose are like 2" diameter gets in all the nuk and cranny. very strong and its cheap

Lol you don't put the vacuum in the water, only the hose. Hd has the wet/dry bucket vacuums.

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
dang i havent used that HD 5 gallon bucket shop vac before. 21$ seems like a pretty sweet deal. Im doing a clean out tomorrow or thursday as well. Gonna have to pick one up. Thanks for sharing

Lol I hate U guys, I meant that the hose just completely sucks out all the water and crap? Iv never used a wet vac, and thank god I only have to sweep as im hard floors for liffffffe!

So I bought a 6 gallon wet/dry vac and the thing is really good at sucking up detritus, but the problem is that it does it too fast and I overflowed it and water ended up on my floor. It's 6 gallons, I know, small. But I thought it had a float valve that would cut off the vac from overflowing. But obviously not. So now I'm waiting for a 20 foot hose extension to run the vac outside in case it overflows.

Does anyone know if you can burn out the motor when the exhaust on the back blows out water? There is no drain on this model, so it fills up fast. I kinda don't want to buy the full featured model because it's huge, I have no room for it, and I will rarely use it.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
add small powerheads to keep the detritus suspended so the skimmer can remove it....

I've done this before, but on a timer. So it only turns on for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day. If you leave it permanently on, there still tends to be dead spots that detritus will collect in. This is assuming it's a small ish powerhead

Filter socks- change every wed & sun, dont forget, ever!

Just like taking a shower/sponge bath.

Latest posts