Help me set up my new reef! 60 cube

Hey everyone! I'm going to be setting up a new tank and I want to do it right this time. I've had many years of experience doing it the cheap half *** way and I'm tired of the results I've been getting so now I'm ready to do it the right way and spend the money. I am got a 60 cube. Dimensions are 24"x24"x24". My goal is to have a very stable tank that doesn't require me to mess with it a lot beyond the usual like water changes, top off, adding media or liquid to a doser. Inside the tank I will be mainly focusing on sps, acans, and zoa's. I want to have good growth and color. What do you guys recommend me use as far as equipment goes?
-BM Doser vs calcium reactor vs hand dosing
-AI Hydra 52hd vs reef breeders vs kessil 360
-brs gfo/carbon dual reactor vs TLF reactor
-controller vs no controller
-test kits vs Hanna digital
-anything else I missed?!?!

Any recommendations are greatly welcomed and I'd love to hear any advice/personal experience from you guys!

Wankel

Supporter
I could have sworn you said you wanted to do it right...

Radion G3 Pro
GHL Doser
Hanna and Red Sea Test kits
Tunze 3155 ATO
MP10's
APEX
Vectra M1 Return
No reactors needed IMO (maybe one for backup carbon)

:stupido3:

Last edited:
I could have sworn you said you wanted to do it right...

Radion G3 Pro
GHL Doser
Hanna and Red Sea Test kits
Tunze 3155 ATO
MP10's
APEX
Vectra M1 Return
No reactors needed IMO (maybe one for backup carbon)

:stupido3:

What is so special about the GHL doser vs a Bubble magus. Don't they all do the same thing?

Wankel

Supporter
What is so special about the GHL doser vs a Bubble magus. Don't they all do the same thing?
Bubble magus goes bad and you either send it in (under warranty) or replace it. GHL something goes wrong and every part in it is replaceable. I have used a BM before they are good, but GHL is better.

What are your opinions on just LED's vs LED's and 4 bulb t5 combo to achieve a better range of full spectrum?
I wouldn't say it provides more spectrum, what people do that for is to provide more coverage. Take a wild guess as to why a T5 (tube) lamp the length of your tank would have more coverage?? Genius...

Do yourself a favor and do the research yourself, there are still a lot of ignorant people on the subject. However there is also a TON of tests, research, facts about all types of lighting including LED which in my opinion is just as good if not better than any other type. A lot of it is personal preference, but you will get a lot of people knocking LED because its a new technology and they cant handle change. If you want a LED that will cover your tank and produce no shadows ( which all LED's do according to some ) Look into the LANI LED unit, I will upgrade to that once I upgrade my tank.

Last edited: