ATI + Kessils - take 1

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
In the neverending saga of reefing...

Got the 4x24 fixture up today. The Kessils were mounted on 2 EMT mounts that came up and over diagonally. I straightened the mounts parallel to the tank, added a cross-bar in the front for stability, and hung the ATI in the middle. The Kessils are on their original eye hooks for now but I have more clamps and hooks so I can move them. Question is... Where to? :)

In the neverending saga of reefing...

Got the 4x24 fixture up today. The Kessils were mounted on 2 EMT mounts that came up and over diagonally. I straightened the mounts parallel to the tank, added a cross-bar in the front for stability, and hung the ATI in the middle. The Kessils are on their original eye hooks for now but I have more clamps and hooks so I can move them. Question is... Where to? :)

I don't have an answer for you, but question for you.......how do you like it? Spectrum/visual wise, that is.

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
Well, I ran the Kessils (A360NE) for a year and loved everything about them except the massive shadowing that was really hurting my SPS. I got a 2x39 Helios IV from [MENTION=7185]janiners305[/MENTION] the weekend before last and popped it on the eurobrace at the front of the tank and was blown away by the shadow reduction. Only a few days later I could already see a difference - coloring up, my BTA has stayed massivey inflated, everything seemed really happy. But I don't want to go all T5 and lose the benefits of the Kessils.

I'm not sure the 4x24 is going to cut it for eliminating shadowing because of my tank's size, but I'll try it for a while and if it's not working out, and I finally get a freaking job, I'll upgrade to a bigger fixture (or at least one with more bulbs).

Edit: Forgot the spectrum/visual part - I like it with the Kessils way more than just T5. I'm so used to the shimmer that T5 seems really flat by itself. And coral seems to pop more with them.

Last edited:
Looks awesome! You can probably raise the ATI up 2-3 inches to get a broader coverage and still get the par all the corals will need to thrive. Nice work on the angle on the Kessils!

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Looks awesome! You can probably raise the ATI up 2-3 inches to get a broader coverage and still get the par all the corals will need to thrive. Nice work on the angle on the Kessils!
It reminds me how u had your setup very similar lol

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for the hookup and the tip on the angling! I'll play around and raise it tomorrow. :)