Reef Predictions for 2016!

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
The real benefit is that you get the same performance as a very large refugium in a compact package. If you notice the Arid is about the same price as a good skimmer as the company really wants to replace your need for s skimmer with the ARID.
Do you believe this could ever replace a skimmer? I have a large fuge and a skimmer. I don't see getting rid of either in my case as nutrients are always an issue with my bio load. But for smaller systems that would make sense. But in essence could you get the same performance from those underwater fuge lights and a power head in a small fuge? That's all it is right? More appropriate flow and a better spread of light? Sorry for hijacking the thread. I considered buying one because itd be nice to get rid of my fuge and move my skimmer into my fuge section. Thanks Greg

I definitely think it can but it's not for me. I just don't want to open the thing up every week to dump the algae. From what I have seen and heard it grows algae at unheard of rates. IMO though there are other factors that may contribute to this. pciscott has one and he has been very pleased. You might want to talk with him.

I don't use algae as a nutrient export anymore so my opinion is biased toward the bacteria side. I feel that bacteria is far more efficient than algae at reducing N and P.

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
I definitely think it can but it's not for me. I just don't want to open the thing up every week to dump the algae. From what I have seen and heard it grows algae at unheard of rates. IMO though there are other factors that may contribute to this. pciscott has one and he has been very pleased. You might want to talk with him.

I don't use algae as a nutrient export anymore so my opinion is biased toward the bacteria side. I feel that bacteria is far more efficient than algae at reducing N and P.
Would you be willing to explain that? Bacterial export vs algae export? Would really appreciate hearing more. I've been in the hobby a long long time but everyday I feel like a noob . Thank you and happy holidays!

Arid is a bit of a pain to clean, but not so bad as I have a fish room so a little water on the floor goes down the drain. I do see it keeping my P04 down and not having to run GFO. If you are having problems growing Macro dose a Iron product, very little, and it will grow much faster. The Arid Reactor comes with a Iron Supplement and I dose 20 drops per day in 600 gallons and the Algae grows much faster when I do dose the Iron.

The OCean Swipe 360 glass cleaning Robot would take away a chore that I have to do 2 to 3 times per week as the downside of a Nutrient rich tank is having to clean the glass every few days. This missed the Kick starting goal but I am going to get one when available!

The Mindstream as well to keep tabs on Alk and CA as my uptake is going up way to fast. I am up to 400 mills of each a day and will soon put on a Kalk Reactor to cut this number down and keep my PH elevated.

I hope to stop procrastinating in 2016 and tie up all the loose ends and have more failsafes in place so that none of my automation can crash my tank. I love the Auto water change, but sensors fail and if something gets left on I will have a problem.

The Jason Fox coral is Legit and the nicest Acro I have ever seen, Brian got a piece at Rap and Wayne cried that he did not get it!

Would you be willing to explain that? Bacterial export vs algae export? Would really appreciate hearing more. I've been in the hobby a long long time but everyday I feel like a noob . Thank you and happy holidays!
Bacteria can double it's population in less than 2 hours. That is much faster than algae. Simple as that! The problem is keeping the process under control. Not saying it's better, it's just a method I am comfortable with. I certainly don't recommend it for everyone and it is not necessary at all.

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
Floyd r turbo on r2r is releasing a mass produced ats next month. Not sure how it compares to the arid since I never heard ot the arid but I'm interested in trying one out.

I am feeling kinda of guilty that we (I) hijacked this thread into an algae, export discussion. Maybe we should move this over to the disease, parasite nuisance algae part of the forum and return this discussion to predictions for 2016. I am very interested in this topic and would like to see it continue over there. I have been considering various ats,and now arid. Would like to discuss more and here everyone's thoughts and experiences. I will open something over in the disease part of the forum.

Greg I tumbled through Biopellets and took a hard fall and I prefer the more natural approach of a refugium, the Arid just fits my space restraints better than a large refugium. If I had the room I would have a 100 gallon refugium instead of the Arid as it is a pain to clean. I understand the idea of a bacteria driven system, but do not understand the control and worry that you can feed the bad bacteria as well as the good. Lighting and the shift toward LED also plays a big part in how a reef is run because you used to be able to get away with less nutrients because of the quality of light, with spectrum questions and uncertainty of LED lights the nutrients in the water play a much more important role.

Balance is key and It has taken me many years to get a grasp of how Nitrates, P04, and Carbon have to be balanced to all stay stable and this balance is as Important as Alk, CA, and Salinity.

Which is why I deferred the algae based review to you. I don't recommend anyone to go the bacteria route anymore. I leave that up to them. There is too much talk as to which method is better and I prefer to describe them as just different ways to achieve the same goal. What works for some may not work for all.

would like to see more ats and arid system manufacturers and more widespread use to really see if they work and to drive down prices. I need some option other than refugium/sump for nutrient export because I can not get chaeto to thrive no matter what I do.
This idea of mine will catch on in 2016! Lol.

I_am_poor's macro algae reactor

Latest posts