Just wanna throw out the idea here

Would a 3d manifold be useable? How strong are these 3d printed products? Would it be able to be fitted with pvc pieces properly and leak free? I personally wouldn't trust one myself but it is a nice idea because they could be made to look so much nicer than the standard pieced together pvc manifolds. also curious what the cost would be because flex pvc has a bunch of premade out of pvc manifolds for pretty cheap https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-Manifolds

I do think that there are a lot of on off products that can be made though. Like custom probe/hose holders. Feeder trays (like where the plastic goes from the feeder down into the water so the pellets/flakes get wet and sink instead of straight into the overflow) and other random things. I used some pvc to make a bracket to mount my gyre from the bottom of my eurobrace, it came out ok but a nice 3d printed piece would look much nicer im sure.

I'm sure if you just keep thinking and reading the boards you can find many products that people will be interested in and some day you could find that one that everyone wants!

good luck
The last cnc shop I worked at had s large 3D printer. We use to print parts for concept cars anywhere from dashboard parts, lamp fixtures, etc. 3D printers can print to desired thicknesses, it can makes threads on parts, holes, grroves for a seal if necessary etc. It is very strong material just like any other solid plastic part, it can be made in different colors if you want, although not exactly sure what colors are available I've seen black, red & neon green. Never saw anything submerged in water for leak tests lol but I would almost say it can pass a water proof test right off the back

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
The last cnc shop I worked at had s large 3D printer. We use to print parts for concept cars anywhere from dashboard parts, lamp fixtures, etc. 3D printers can print to desired thicknesses, it can makes threads on parts, holes, grroves for a seal if necessary etc. It is very strong material just like any other solid plastic part, it can be made in different colors if you want, although not exactly sure what colors are available I've seen black, red & neon green. Never saw anything submerged in water for leak tests lol but I would almost say it can pass a water proof test right off the back
He's not talking about using the large 3d printer that the shop you used to work at has. Is the home 3d printer he is planning on using capable of all this?

He's not talking about using the large 3d printer that the shop you used to work at has. Is the home 3d printer he is planning on using capable of all this?
Yes same deal, they had a small printer there as well, it was around the size of a 20g cube, they had it sitting on a computer desk. Had the same exact capabilities but on a smaller scale, don't remember what the max length capability was but I think it was around 8-10in

the "budget" 3d printer is around 6~8" limit. I think once you go above that, the price goes up exponentially. I toyed around with the idea of buying one of those XYZ Da Vinci ones, has high mark, and 7.8" cube print dimension and is relatively affordable.

i got a decent bonus check from work over the holiday, maybe it's time.. >_>

the "budget" 3d printer is around 6~8" limit. I think once you go above that, the price goes up exponentially. I toyed around with the idea of buying one of those XYZ Da Vinci ones, has high mark, and 7.8" cube print dimension and is relatively affordable.

i got a decent bonus check from work over the holiday, maybe it's time.. >_>
I've never looked into one, do you remember what they go for cost wise?

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
the xyz da vinci is the cheapest (and best value) by far, under $400. otherwise its 700~1kish.
I wonder if you could make plumbing parts with it. Not having to go to the racists at my local ace hardware or the distant HD would make it worth it.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

personally, i think it would really depend on how far a cartridge of abs wire goes. obviously it's dependent upon what you're printing, but like, an ABS probe holder would be nice, but if you can only print like 3 holders per cartridge, it would suck.

the xyz da vinci is the cheapest (and best value) by far, under $400. otherwise its 700~1kish.
Wow... That's not bad at all!! [MENTION=5149]D12sprint[/MENTION] do you have access to programmimg software?? That would be the most expensive part of the project! I know a couple peeps that could possibly help us with that if you don't

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I know you can go to websites and have 3d printed stuff printed if you have the plans for it but if somebody on here had a 3d printer and made custom parts I would probably be buying random stuff from you all year long. With my reef stuff Im always thinking **** I wish I had a 3d printer so I could make this stupid little thingamajig but then I think it would take me way too long to figure out how to use it that it wouldn't be worth it, at this point. I also have other hobbies where it would be cool to have little custom project boxes made for pi's/arduino's/etc and if there was someone cool that could help me get it printed out I would totally be a frequent shopper

D12sprint

Wow... That's not bad at all!! [MENTION=5149]D12sprint[/MENTION] do you have access to programmimg software?? That would be the most expensive part of the project! I know a couple peeps that could possibly help us with that if you don't
THATS where the issue lies with me. I COULD get my hands on some software if I try to talk my old instructor into handing some over. But if not then yah I may need some help there. I mean you can always invest in software. But I believe a full mastercam software is roughly $5k but if I can get autocad and some mastercam I can make about anything. My fianc is an art major/interior designer and she can free hand about anything. If I can get her to draw up the 2d version in autocad I can covert to 3D and have mastercam write me the code and then any little tweaks I can do on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D12sprint

The da Vinci jr. Is the one for $400 and only doe a a small footprint the true size da Vinci is roughly $1200 by the time you grab enough ABS TO MAKE ANYTHING if I do it I wanna grab the air wolf It's one of the best and biggest footprints for desktop printers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts