Bulkhead Wrenches

Does anyone on here have bulkhead wrenches?

Been trying to research best solutions.

They are pretty pricey, so buying a full set seems unlikely.

Also, do you know if they are measured by the nut on the bulkhead or my the pipe the bulkhead supports?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Eric,
I thought hand will do for bulkhead, they are not mean for overtighten. save your money on wrenches

Eric,
I thought hand will do for bulkhead, they are not mean for overtighten. save your money on wrenches
I am seeing that advise, as I research more. "Hand tighten only with maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn additional, no more."

I often run into issues, removing old ones. I guess many people don't follow that advise!

I am seeing that advise, as I research more. "Hand tighten only with maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn additional, no more."

I often run into issues, removing old ones. I guess many people don't follow that advise!
I think they are tight but not to the point breaking the glass and old silicon or washer might be glued to the tank.

I did all mine hand tight then put clear aquarium silicon around them for good measure
yeah. I do that too. Clear silicon will give little waterproof seal.

Ditto to what [MENTION=207]NVTE[/MENTION] Dan said about hand tightening them. I did that to all 3 of my Bean Animal drain bulk heads as well. No leaks so far. I actually used a vice grip to tighten a bulk head to my water changing station and heard a loud snap when I overly tightened it. It no longer grabbed the final thread and kept on spinning. Straight to the trash it went. Wasted 6 bucks -.-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hand tight plus 1/8 to 1/4 max, the trick is everything clean and you should have no problems. If you overtighten they may not snap today, but they for sure will snap when you are on vacation:) There are different qualities and schedules of bulkheads, but sometimes we are stuck with a certain hole size. Most are cheaply made out of ABS, but you can still find quality schedule 40 PVC bulkheads. If you are running closed loop higher quality are recommended and on all my closed loop plumbing I do run a bead of silicone around the outside of the flange after the bulkhead is in. I do this on the wet side only. I also like slip fit on the dry side with glue, trying to tighten threads to get a leak to stop can spin your bulkheads and unset the seal causing a leak. I try to stay away from threads whenever I can as they are where you will find most leaks. I have a couple sources for PVC bulkheads at work, hit me up if you are having trouble finding them for your closed loop.

xraymatt

Premium Member
Supporter
After years of trial and error (and a bunch of broken bulkhead rings!) , the method I use is to hand tighten as tight as I can, then use a hammer to tap on a flat-head screwdriver another 1/4 of a turn. Works for me every time!