New Tank- What First?

Hey Everyone,

We have been cycling our new 20g tank for almost two weeks and need your help with something...

When all of the chemical levels appear to be good do you prefer to put in cheaper fish to test the water and see if they live, or do you think it would be fine to put in our first set of fish (two perculas).

Also,
How long do you normally let the tank cycle before putting fish in it?

Thanks for your help.

-RCWright721

adam1121

If the water is stable i think you should let it stay like that at least one week more before adding anything just to be sure. Then you can add your fish. I would throw in the fish you want. Dont wanna put a damsel or something in cause it'll be a pain to get out.

yeah after your bloom is done and all take your water to the LFS and they will tell you if its ready. Tell us about your setup what filtration sand rock lights do you have. dont put damsels unless it will be a damsel tank. i would start off with two percs though. Also another note i bet you will be upgrading in a couple months hehe thats how i started with a 20g

if you have test kits check your nitrate and nitrite and ammonia. after they are down you can add fish but take your time dont add alot at one time you have to let the biological catch up. everytime you add fish you go through something like a mini cycle.

Oh and welcomepic to socalireefs

Since it is a new tank...hold off at least for another two weeks before like previous posts...rushing to add fish and introducing a heavier bio load can cause problems...patience grasshopper is the key to success.

d34532

I think more info on tank setup is needed like savethereef said. Depending on setup I would have to say cycle time can be 0 to 6 weeks depends on if you used LS/LR (fully cured) and how much or used complete new sand and "died"/dry rock. In most of my tank nano I never "cycled" because I used LS(1 to 2lb per gal) and LR(2lb per gal) but you still need to start slow however.

If you cycled with uncured live rock or with a dead table shrimp, do a 100% water change.

Get your water tested. If amonia and nitrates are detectible, wait.

When all is good, add a fish that you like, that is not too expensive.

Take it slow and you should do fine.

Last edited: