My 60 gallon cube build

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm new, but I've just read that peppermint shrimps could be of use to controlling aptasia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've tried peppermint shrimp on other tanks without any luck. There very hit and miss when it comes to eating aptasia. I think if it ever becomes a problem I will go with a filefish, seems to be the most successful method people are using. For now I will just hit them with joes juice until I can afford to buy a laser

Tyrone

I've tried peppermint shrimp on other tanks without any luck. There very hit and miss when it comes to eating aptasia. I think if it ever becomes a problem I will go with a filefish, seems to be the most successful method people are using. For now I will just hit them with joes juice until I can afford to buy a laser
A laser!? I heard about that but haven't seen it. How much do they cost?

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
A laser!? I heard about that but haven't seen it. How much do they cost?
I think there like 200-300 I have seen a few on sale in the used goods forums. There are some videos of people using them on YouTube.

Tyrone

I think there like 200-300 I have seen a few on sale in the used goods forums. There are some videos of people using them on YouTube.
Wow, that's a big chunk out of my pocket. Saw the videos, quite interesting. The crackling sound makes me smile for some reason. I guess it reminds me of bonfires and bbq's on the beaches of San Diego.

I guess to prevent from spending on something like that, I just have to be careful, treat and quarantine. But I'm sure a little bugger will slip through the cracks here and there. Mother Nature...

By the way, how are you liking the eshopps cube sump?

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Wow, that's a big chunk out of my pocket. Saw the videos, quite interesting. The crackling sound makes me smile for some reason. I guess it reminds me of bonfires and bbq's on the beaches of San Diego.

I guess to prevent from spending on something like that, I just have to be careful, treat and quarantine. But I'm sure a little bugger will slip through the cracks here and there. Mother Nature...

By the way, how are you liking the eshopps cube sump?
The eshopps cube sump has its good and bad points. The sump area is cut into two parts, there is a separate part for the skimmer and the fuge. The fuge area gets its water without going through the filter sock. I'm not sure why they designed it this way it makes the fuge area very dirty and there are parts of it that are impossible to clean. You can't see the return pump area because it's on the back side of the skimmer. Any time I have to do anything in that part of the sump it's a real pain in the butt. The reason I have it is because I picked it up at a really good price. If I could do it again I would have gone with the AA cube sump. This one is kinda small, I think it designed for a nano cube and I'm sure it would work perfect for that.

Tyrone

The eshopps cube sump has its good and bad points. The sump area is cut into two parts, there is a separate part for the skimmer and the fuge. The fuge area gets its water without going through the filter sock. I'm not sure why they designed it this way it makes the fuge area very dirty and there are parts of it that are impossible to clean. You can't see the return pump area because it's on the back side of the skimmer. Any time I have to do anything in that part of the sump it's a real pain in the butt. The reason I have it is because I picked it up at a really good price. If I could do it again I would have gone with the AA cube sump. This one is kinda small, I think it designed for a nano cube and I'm sure it would work perfect for that.
Thanks for sharing your experience with it. I was really leaning towards to picking one up for my set-up, but now, I don't think so.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Some iPhone shots of my coral. Don't make fun of them!

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
The long green one might be my favorite coral in the tank. It's some wild piece I picked up from Eric1975. It's hard to tell in the pic but it's darker than the slimer. It's almost a forest green really cool piece. The is a green slimer frag at the top of the pic but it's hard to see the difference.

You mentioned that warmer water would speed up the bacteria process, around what temp you'd say would help speed the process when you say warmer. Curious cause I'm gonna try this. About to start up a 60gal cube as well. Nice build by the way. Keep posting pics of you tank so we can see it grow..

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Around what temp you'd say would help speed the process when you say warmer. Curious cause I'm gonna try this. About to start up a 60gal cube as well
the perfect temp for a reef tank is a highly debated topic. I have read articles where people say they get better growth when staying in the high end of the temp spectrum. I try to keep my tank right around 78-79 degrees. At first I was getting a lot of swing in my temp range from 75.5 up to 79. I thought it was because my heater wasn't powerful enough. I'm not sure I was right or wrong but I added a second heater anyways. The thing that really helped level out my temp was letting the apex control the heaters and using there internal thermometer as a backup. The apex seems to keep the temp much more even then the heaters did by themselves. If you don't have a controller I would highly recommend picking one up. Heater relays can malfunction and be stuck in the on position. His can cook everything in your tank in a matter of hours. But to answer your question 79* is the number I set mine at.

Tyrone

What is your set up?
It's this..

It's a 20g low-iron rimless, the brand I believe is AquaH2O. The stand will fit the sump, but with its limited space, I'll have a difficult time doing maintenance. Since you mentioned it would be hard to see in the back area. Won't plan to set it up till we move. I figured it would be a fun little nano to mess around with as I learn.

I also want to apologize if I'm derailing your thread.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
It's this..

It's a 20g low-iron rimless, the brand I believe is AquaH2O. The stand will fit the sump, but with its limited space, I'll have a difficult time doing maintenance. Since you mentioned it would be hard to see in the back area. Won't plan to set it up till we move. I figured it would be a fun little nano to mess around with as I learn.

I also want to apologize if I'm derailing your thread.
There are some videos on YouTube that show you how the sump works. It will give you a better idea if it's right for you. Just search eshopps sump. Don't worry about derailing the thread I'm always happy to help. I'm surprised [MENTION=2546]gumbii[/MENTION] hasn't turned this thread into some black nail polish info thread yet.

Paint your left hand first... Don't worry about getting it on your cuticles... You can scrub it off with a sponge afterwards...

Sent from my LG G4 Note using Tapatalk

There are some videos on YouTube that show you how the sump works. It will give you a better idea if it's right for you. Just search eshopps sump. Don't worry about derailing the thread I'm always happy to help. I'm surprised [MENTION=2546]gumbii[/MENTION] hasn't turned this thread into some black nail polish info thread yet.
honestly.. i don't go into people's tank threads as much... i don't like reading about what they did, bought or own... i really don't care what people do... LOL... so i stay out of most tank builds unless i have some sh1t talking to do... HAAHHAHA...

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I got some new nubs popping out!! Who needs frags!!

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Added about 15-20 SPS frags this week. Still looks kinda empty but when it grows in it will be nice

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I think this is my favorite coral. I'm pretty sure it's from a wild colony. I just really like the colors

Latest posts