Check Valves?

deaclauderdale

Addicted Reefer
My Tank Build
I've been noticing that more and more refeers are installing CV's on their return lines. I thought rule of thumb was not to do this as they are ultimately bound to fail and drain a significant portion of your tank into the sump causing flooding.

What's changed to cause this increase in installations?

Reef keeping is life!

I just installed one on mine just for redundancy. My return loc lines will be above the water line for a siphon break if CV fails. I guess there are no improvements but just that extra piece of mind.

They are not 100% and if not maintained will leak over time, but they do slow down the flow if you turn off power for short time. With this said you do need to have enough volume in sump to handle everything that would siphon if they were not installed. I use Spears True Union Check valves (glue in from BRS) on all my return lines and also have them installed on my Make up water tank so water does not back flow into my RODI bin. I have extras and replace with Vinegar cleaned valves when I service my return pumps. At least once a year, but I try to do every 6 months. So far with maintenance mine do not leak.

+1 on the union check valve. Worth a few extra bucks for sure. Wish I had done that on my nano.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
It's funny I have always used one but I always make sure I don't need one.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I was suprised mine didn't work right off the bat. I think its an error on my part though. There's a little tension pulling to the side from a pipe I cut a little short. I think its causing it to warp/not to seal correctly.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I think the best thing to do is keep your returns close to the surface and make sure you have enough room in the sump for the Etta water if there's a power outage

deaclauderdale

Addicted Reefer
My Tank Build
From the replies it appears that it is more of a redundancy than a change in previously acclimated to practices. I to set my return lines to rise out of the water and then have the tips slightly submerged with a small hole drilled to break siphon just in case. I will however consider adding a check valve.

Reef keeping is life!