Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Resident Realogist
    Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Dump the egg crate or acrylic/magnet combo and combine filter and frag rack

Lots of us hate the look of frag racks but hate the hair algae that sometimes grows on it, even more. Some say they also leach phosphates. And almost just as bad, when overgrown frags spread onto the plastic egg crate or acrylic rack, it's a pia to get those corals off. And the latest negative are those reports of cheap rusting magnets crashing tanks.

So I figured a way to ditch the crate/acrylic frag rack and instead use something where beneficial bacteria can thrive due to the tons of surface area and how porous the blocks are. And when corals spread, its super easy to just cut the surrounding area and boom, instant base for corals to be transferred to plugs or just let them continue to spread on the foundation.

So here's what I came up with. Pics on next post.

2. Likes Mr V liked this post
    Name
    andy
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What next post

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Resident Realogist
    Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Got these at the 99 cent store

Resident Realogist
    Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Combined with these awesome super porous blocks

Resident Realogist
    Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

And boom shakalaka, instant frag holder and extra filter all wrapped in one genius Jesse idea. Lol

7. Likes xmas_one liked this post
    Resident Realogist
    Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

BTW if you are wondering what the toothpicks are for...no they aren't for looking cool while fragging, like cody said..lmao...it's for those frags that sometimes become detached from their base or plug, like shrooms. This is how you keep them there until they attach their foot/base.

Last edited by Tangwich; 02-05-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Resident Realogist
    Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

And lastly voila!

Contributing Member
    Name
    Wali
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Good idea...so you stab a toothpick through the shroom till the foot attaches?

Registered Member
    Name
    TONY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how you keep the frag disc from sliding off or being bumped off.

Resident Realogist
    Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TH64 View Post
    Good idea...so you stab a toothpick through the shroom till the foot attaches?
    yessir.

Resident Realogist
    Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by REEFERDUDE562 View Post
    how you keep the frag disc from sliding off or being bumped off.
    oh sorry, didn't show that part. i used a regular screw drive to make the hole in the block and then you place the plug IN the plate like you would in eggcrate or acrylic frag rack. all those frags you see on the bio block are regular frag plugs with base and holder underneath

14. Thanks christian7144 thanked for this post
    Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it is ugly but no uglier than a frag rack. What happens when coralline algae grows on the biofilter media, doesn't it fill all the pores. I thought that stuff was meant for the sump without lighting. And that stuff is so darn brittle, were you concerned about the screwdriver cracking it or was it just so soft that it was easy to do.

I like your thinking though. Always good to try something a little different. I tried putting mesh in my protein skimmer with an underwater led, seemed like a great combination of technology--protein skimmer and algae turf scrubber. Well, you don't want coraline algae to grow in your skimmer, pain to clean out.

Resident Realogist
    Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post
    Well it is ugly but no uglier than a frag rack. What happens when coralline algae grows on the biofilter media, doesn't it fill all the pores. I thought that stuff was meant for the sump without lighting. And that stuff is so darn brittle, were you concerned about the screwdriver cracking it or was it just so soft that it was easy to do.

I like your thinking though. Always good to try something a little different. I tried putting mesh in my protein skimmer with an underwater led, seemed like a great combination of technology--protein skimmer and algae turf scrubber. Well, you don't want coraline algae to grow in your skimmer, pain to clean out.
    Good questions Mark. You are right, its not really meant for the display tank as it’s not visually appealing. I am thinking more for like frag tanks or a fuge. I only have it up on top of that rock in the picture because I am going to be moving stuff around in the show fuge tonight and make room for it. As for your other concerns, I have had 2 blocks under light for over a year and algae/coralline doesn’t/hasn’t covered it. Also, it’s not that brittle where I was scared of breaking it. It’s easy to cut with a serrated knife but putting holes in it with a screw driver won’t mess with the integrity of the structure, so long as you don’t go too close to the edges.

Addict
    Name
    Tim
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marinepure leeches crazy amounts of Aluminum as it degrades. I would absolutely stop using marinepure if I were you, triton tests confirm insane amounts of Aluminum in systems running Marine Pure.
    The Garden: 45g Cube -- Vertex 130i, ATI T5 6x24, Flow by Sicce

18. Thanks Classictint thanked for this post
    Likes Classictint liked this post
    Premium Member
    Name
    V
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
    Marinepure leeches crazy amounts of Aluminum as it degrades. I would absolutely stop using marinepure if I were you, triton tests confirm insane amounts of Aluminum in systems running Marine Pure.
    I'm sorry for hijack the thread, but I feel a little unfair on this statement about Marinepure.
    Have you or someone you know actually hade bad effects after you add Marine pure product?
    Even though I haven't tested for Aluminum, but I can swear by Marinepure. I'm a big fan. My filtration system mostly rely on them (Blocks and spheres)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information