HOB Skimmer Extention Mod Question

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
I have a 24g Nano and want to add a protein skimmer. I want to keep the canopy since I just installed a Rapid Led conversion. I also have already converted my 2nd chamber into a mini refugium. Now I want to add a protein skimmer, so my choices are very limited due to my configuration choices. I know I can always run the skimmer in the front of the tank at night (HoF lol).

Would it be possible to modify the intake and return plumbing on the skimmer as long as I keep the correct height of the skimmer to water level. I want to extend 7 and 8 forward and possibly add some elbows to change the location where it enters the tank. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

I ordered a Eshoppes PSK-100H.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I think it would work. But your tank would have to sit pretty for off your wall. I had a HOB filter on my nano cube with the factory lid. I took the hinges off on just pulled the top off completely when I needed to get into the tank.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks. I still on the fence if I need a skimmer. But I got the eshoppe skimmer for a great price.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I don't think a nano cube needs a skimmer to be successful. I have had them with and without. Both worked fine. The best thing for a nano cube in my opinion is water changes. A 5 gallon water change is easy to do and makes a big impact on a 24 gallon tank. I ran an upflow algae scrubber on my last nano cube in the 3rd chamber. Because your using a lid there will be very little salt creep in any and there pretty quiet. I think I have pics of the set up somewhere

Latest posts