Acid dipped my rocks today

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I should have done this. I picked up discount rock and am now paying the price. ��������

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Stuff is pretty cheap. I think it ran me 10-15 bucks to do all the rock for my 100g

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
great thread. very informative. i wonder how porous rock like pukani handle this treatment.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Thanks for the write up [MENTION=6028]Fly5150[/MENTION]. I have to do that this weekend.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
OK, my turn. Went to Leslie's pool supply and picked up 2 gallons(they only sell it in 2 gallon) and it was only $15. Lady mentioned it's twice as strong as stuff from Home Depot

Tub of rock

Used about 15g of tap and 3/4g of acid

A minute or two after pouring the acid in

10 minutes after

Going to pour the remaining 1/4g after about 20 minutes then going to let it sit in the acid bath for probably an hour then I'll dump a box of baking soda in there.

getawaah

I Actually just did this about a month ago. I had 100 lbs. of pukani, first I did a bleach soak 1 day with a 10/1 ratio water to bleach. The bleach helps get rid of organic stuff in the tight spots of the pukani and all over the rock. The acid wash is to strip the outer layer of calcium carbonate removing much of the bound phosphates and any heavy metals. Pukani will leach phosphates in your tank causing algae problems sometimes right away and sometimes a year down the road. Pukani leaches phosphates it's just a matter of time. So I Acid washed(Muratic acid)10:1 ratio I got at Lowes they sell 2 one gallon bottles together in a box for $13.00, for about 15/20 minutes you gotta be careful if you let it set in the acid too long you'll have a lot of rock dissappear. After removing the rock from the acid I then rendered the acid neutral by using sodium bicarbonate. Next I rinsed off the rock and now it's sitting in a tub of rodi saltwater with a 10 micron mesh filter and a pump directed at the filter. I dose with Phosfree a capfull 2 times a week which binds to any phosphates in the water leaching from the rock. You can see participate in the filter sock. I test with Hanna phosphate tester once a week. So far they are steadily dropping. I've changed the water twice and have to change the filter sock around every 5 days or so. It turns a light brown and you can see the build up on it.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

So .. thanks for this thread!
I am 'restarting' my seahorse tank... I'm fighting bryopsis , bubble algae and cyano! Smh..

So ...
if I relocate the ponies to a temp tank,

1. Acid wash the tonga rock and dry
2. Wash and refill tank w new dry sand..
3. Replace all the rock/ add dr tims bacteria and maybe a seeded sponge from my reef ( which has cyano too.. if I rinse sponge a bit will it still contaminate new tank?)

How long do I need to wait for reintroduction of ponies? Do I need to wait for any reason as far as the rock leaching acid byproducts etc?

Is this surefire death to bryopsis? Some is rooted deep into the rock :/

Thanks for any advice here.. I just about quit the pony tank , but they didn't sell so will hit reset button while I do a retile job and hafta relocate the tank anyway.

I would acid wash them, then let the rock sit in rodi for a week or two to make sure everything deep in the rock is dead. The acid should dissolve all the organics on the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Did some reading about flucanozole treatment for briopsys. Looks like a magic bullet! Kills nothing but gha and bryopsis .. so gonna give it a go first, then use acid as a backup if it doesn't live up to the hype. Such a pita this high nutrient/ low flow system is :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts