Back at it with a 240.

xraymatt

Premium Member
Supporter
Added a few fish. I got a nice Blonde Naso and a GIANT Orange Shoulder Tang from Jesse in DHS. Beautiful fish!

Last edited:

xraymatt

Premium Member
Supporter
Beautiful tank Matt. How was the learning curve on the reactor? I'm thinking about looking into one this summer.
Thanks Brian! Setting up the reactor wasn't as intimidating as I had thought. It's pretty straight forward and I couldn't be happier. On a different note; I've been battling some pretty severe red slime algae bloom. Lots of scrubbing the rock with a (clean) toothbrush as well as the sand. I've done quite a few small water changes, but it still persisting. My halide bulbs were pretty old, so I replaced them yesterday, so we'll wait to see what that does.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I tried going back to bio-balls in the chamber where my overflow dumps into the sump. Well, with all the red algae collecting in there, I decided to pull them out. I have a suspicion that the commotion caused a spike in something because a couple of my corals started bleaching. Some more water changes followed, and now I'm waiting to see how it settles out.
It's crazy how a nice stable tank can change on a dime. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks Brian! Setting up the reactor wasn't as intimidating as I had thought. It's pretty straight forward and I couldn't be happier. On a different note; I've been battling some pretty severe red slime algae bloom. Lots of scrubbing the rock with a (clean) toothbrush as well as the sand. I've done quite a few small water changes, but it still persisting. My halide bulbs were pretty old, so I replaced them yesterday, so we'll wait to see what that does.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I tried going back to bio-balls in the chamber where my overflow dumps into the sump. Well, with all the red algae collecting in there, I decided to pull them out. I have a suspicion that the commotion caused a spike in something because a couple of my corals started bleaching. Some more water changes followed, and now I'm waiting to see how it settles out.
It's crazy how a nice stable tank can change on a dime. I'll keep everyone posted.
I believe the old school way of thinking was that bio balls were considered Nitrates factories. That being said, I have read that many are switching to those crazy porous ceramic blocks.

Latest posts