DIY HELP Please!!!

knpickup

Thank You Everyone!

[MENTION=6904]Zoarder[/MENTION] hahaha the reason i want to keep all three is because i love clownfish and have 3 pairs so i cant just have one big one. im def going to pickup a ball valve to control the flow and an oil based paint! thank you :D
[MENTION=4782]jbaeza83[/MENTION] it seems everyone recommended the oil based paint so thank you!! and i took your advice on drilling into the stud.
[MENTION=5150]F-Dawg[/MENTION] thank you! I ended up going with the stud haha
[MENTION=403]Chris[/MENTION]tain7144 thanks for the recommendation! and taking the time to respond- i ended up redrilling into the stud though
[MENTION=5734]SandStorm[/MENTION] haha i took it down right after posting this thread! good thing i did, couldve turned into a huge nightmare.
[MENTION=7305]civicdemon[/MENTION] thanks! i went and got a stud finder and drilled into the stud :D
[MENTION=7893]Tommy Ngo[/MENTION] haha i tried the knocking method, but it all sounded the same to me newbie so i got a stud finder! thanks!
[MENTION=2546]gumbii[/MENTION] thank you for sharing the video too! and for your advice! are there any other reasons besides aesthetics/ weight that you wouldnt recommend putting sand or rocks in ?? now that ive drilled into the stud, i think it should hold.

and i picked up some paint today from home depot! thanks :D

loll one day when i have my own house ill upgrade to larger tank. in the meantime i like my little science experiment haha

haha thats awesome you are building a bed for your daughter!
[MENTION=8177]ReeferB[/MENTION] thank you for offering, i appreciate it ! i ended up getting my own :) could come in handy in the future
[MENTION=8996]ndrwater[/MENTION] yea youre totally right. dont want it to break my frag tank as well. i mounted them to the studs with i think they were 5 screws! hope those are good haha
[MENTION=11048]Reeferfourlife[/MENTION] didnt know that! thanks! i ended up getting a stud finder though :)
[MENTION=4410]dbone[/MENTION] thank you for offering to lend me your stud finder! i ended up getting my own incase i need to hang anything in the future! and thanks for specifying the kind of screws/ technique! much appreciated.
[MENTION=6134]Jhuneke[/MENTION] haha yay another fellow female reefer! its always so intimidating posting on forums since it is predominately men and they can be so vicious to one another haha.

Im going to try the little maxi jet in the frag tank like you recommended! Im just waiting for the spray paint to dry for a few days :D

so funny! its usually the other way around..the wife usually despises the hobby haha thats awesome :)

wow reef goals! i would love to see your tank and how you plumbed the whole thing! plumbing is definitely my weakness in this hobby haha & thanks for the good luck im def going to need it!

To everyone that responded:

Thank you again for responding and giving me your advice! I ended up getting the stud finder and drilling the brackets into the stud! And I'm currently waiting for the paint to dry before I can see if the pump/plumbing will work :) haha still have to touch up the wall too :/but i love it so far, it looks way better with the longer shelf too :D

(unpainted shelf, but with the brackets in the stud!)

well, other than weight... i don't like sand... LOL... also, i'm an artist... so i like weird and dumb stuff... a glass box on the wall with just corals and a fish would be modern art... the way i have my turtle tank, betta tanks and reef tank is modeled that way... minimalist and looks like it's just a square of water with it's inhabitants floating in the air... i also like to see the wall behind it...

i also like floating things on my walls... even my canvas are in floating frames...

one day, i'll do this... LOL...

How awesome!! Good for you :) see.. Where there's a will there's a way! Here's is my new 135g I set up recently

And the 40g Seahorse tank I setup 2 yrs ago :)

My latest pet project is a sw mixing station using 2 60g barrels plumbed in the garage.. It's a work in progress lol it never ends!

Always happy to see other She Reefers on the forum :) keep us posted on your progress!

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

knpickup

(sorry for taking so long to respond, i've been super busy)
[MENTION=2546]gumbii[/MENTION] I don't think that looks weird or dumb! That set up looks so clean and nice! You definitely would not like the way I set up this tank then haha. I'm going to try and find your tank set up photos, when I have time. And I want to stay thank you for always being quick to respond to posts! A friend had told me to ask you for help on here if I had any questions because you're friendly.
[MENTION=6134]Jhuneke[/MENTION] WOW! Your tanks are amazing!!! I can't believe your husband doesn't like this hobby. I'd be too intimidated to try and plumb/set up anything over 100 gal-- you're definitely an inspiration. Your 135 gal aquascape is so nice & the huge carpet anemone to the right(i think that's what it is haha can't completely tell) ! Plus your seahorse tank too--I would love to see that in person (not in a creepy way lol & i'm not asking to), I love sponges, macro algae & seahorses haha ! How is your saltwater mixing station going?? I would love to set one up, but my mom would kill me if I add anymore fish stuff to the house XD.

Update:
The little tank is up and running now! thanks to everyones help :) slight issues plumbing, it's super noisy lol, but the glossy spray paint stuff totally worked and whenever i spill any water it's so easy to wipe up.

Super proud of myself..my mom's not too happy about the holes in the wall though hahaha

had to put one of them in a breeder net since they are not getting along

little tank is a disaster while i wait for one to get bigger than the other, then i'll be able to rearrange the rocks and re-do everything :)

Looks great!! See.. It's not so bad once u get going. It's just intimidating at the start :)
Thanks for the kind words, and you're welcome to stop by ( not in a creepy way ! Lol) anytime you find yourself out in the boonies ( Murrieta lol) ... Always happy to meet fellow hobbyists :)

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

M466

From my days in rough construction, studs will usually be found within 16 to 12 inches apart on length. The ones with 16 inch lengths are your older homes or apartments pre 1960

[MENTION=9222]knpickup[/MENTION]

What kind of corals are in your tanks? Do you want to do some trading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David_Ewen

Knpickup,
Will you please explain in detail or post photos of your plumbing?

I ask because you may run into a nasty problem based on how I understand it currently. Once you post your photos, I will offer some plumbing advice. I've been in the piping industry for almost 30 years. I've seen some good and I've seen some bad. I would like to help you avoid any potential disasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

let.it.go

[MENTION=5085]newtothis[/MENTION] Plumbing issue, Mr. James can help right there!!!!!! right James?

and Yes [MENTION=2546]gumbii[/MENTION], she is very pretty. ****, we have the same taste!!!!! hmmmm

[MENTION=9222]knpickup[/MENTION] : That cube needs something like an AI prime or Kessil 160 WE :)

jbaeza83

Premium Member
Supporter
Super proud of myself..my mom's not too happy about the holes in the wall though hahaha
Get a wet sponge and gently rub the area around the wall patches to remove the excess patching putty. You should only be left with the putty in the actual hole after that.

[MENTION=5085]newtothis[/MENTION] Plumbing issue, Mr. James can help right there!!!!!! right James?

and Yes [MENTION=2546]gumbii[/MENTION], she is very pretty. ****, we have the same taste!!!!! hmmmm

[MENTION=9222]knpickup[/MENTION] : That cube needs something like an AI prime or Kessil 160 WE :)
who is this...? is this kevin...? vu...? why do you act like you know everyone on the forum already...? you have 5 post, and 3 of them are either quotes or mentions of me...you can't just start like everyone's best friend... that's earned.... and whoever you are, i'll find out... if you're banned and coming back, you will be banned...

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Congrats! Looks nice! I see one of your gold nuggets is already hosting, the other guy will not be welcomed any time soon. Hope I'm wrong :/

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

let.it.go

smh !........!

who is this...? is this kevin...? vu...? why do you act like you know everyone on the forum already...? you have 5 post, and 3 of them are either quotes or mentions of me...you can't just start like everyone's best friend... that's earned.... and whoever you are, i'll find out... if you're banned and coming back, you will be banned...

Gumbii was looking for more members for his Posse. If you ask nicely...maybe he'll jump you in.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
That's a very cool setup. I did something similar a long time ago. I had a display refugium higher then my main tank and let it drain back down. I'm thinking about doing the same thing with a 10 tank on my current setup.

Latest posts