patching 3/8 ro 1/2 holes in ceiling?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
My current tank is where my 66g used to be. On that system I had a hanging light rack. The studs weren't in the correct spot & I was being lazy so I used toggle bolts. I'd now like to take those out and fix the ceiling.

Anybody got any good tips or online tutorials they have used? Everything I find with Google searches are for large holes, where you cut out a section from stud to stud. Seems overkill.

It's a smooth white ceiling, no "popcorn"

jbaeza83

Premium Member
Supporter
My current tank is where my 66g used to be. On that system I had a hanging light rack. The studs weren't in the correct spot & I was being lazy so I used toggle bolts. I'd now like to take those out and fix the ceiling.

Anybody got any good tips or online tutorials they have used? Everything I find with Google searches are for large holes, where you cut out a section from stud to stud. Seems overkill.

It's a smooth white ceiling, no "popcorn"
Unscrew the toggle bolt and leave the butterfly part in the ceiling. You can use white caulking then wait for it to dry and paint it. For a 1/2 hole you might have to do 2 rounds with the caulking, waiting for it to dry between each application. Use a small 1" putty knife to smooth it out.

You can also use some DAP spackle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRcm6FAgK-8

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Id use caulk also, but be careful since its the ceiling it will want to sag due to gravity. you can let the caulk set a bit then apply. You can also use the same trick if you want to use spackle.

I like to use my finger tip to create some texture once it almost sets

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot. It's a completely smooth ceiling so hopefully I can get it to blend properly.