Thinking it's time for a protein skimmer, help!

I have been running a 28g jbj aio for the past 4 years. I have been running purigen, nop04, filter floss up to this point. Recently I have been fighting more hair algae and overall sps are not staying the best colors. I do a weekly water change sometimes 2 weeks. Corals are growing and doing okay but just think the skimmer will help.

I have been looking at the eshopps nano skimmer. Planning on adding to the middle chamber of rear of tank. Doing so I would remove the stock basket. I'm guessing I would move my purigen and ceramic rings in another chamber? My question is what do I need to do differently if I add the skimmer? Water level is pretty steady in that section. I heard that simple things like putting my arm in tank changes water level and through off skimmer? When I clean cup do I turn off skimmer? Any help/tips are much appreciated.
If anyone has a used eshopps skimmer please pm me.
Thanks

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
The biggest problem with the water level will be evaporation. The skimmer won't be effective if the water level in the chamber is fluctuating. I always turn mine off when I clean it the cup so you don't put a bunch of bubbles all over the tank. I have had many nano cubes with and without skimmers. I think a good water change schedule is the best thing for small tanks. Also I would ditch the ceramic rings. You can also look into making one of the cambers a fuge or getting an upflow algae scrubber. What Model cube do you have??is there room for a hang on the back skimmer?

NVTE

I have been running a 28g jbj aio for the past 4 years. I have been running purigen, nop04, filter floss up to this point. Recently I have been fighting more hair algae and overall sps are not staying the best colors. I do a weekly water change sometimes 2 weeks. Corals are growing and doing okay but just think the skimmer will help.

I have been looking at the eshopps nano skimmer. Planning on adding to the middle chamber of rear of tank. Doing so I would remove the stock basket. I'm guessing I would move my purigen and ceramic rings in another chamber? My question is what do I need to do differently if I add the skimmer? Water level is pretty steady in that section. I heard that simple things like putting my arm in tank changes water level and through off skimmer? When I clean cup do I turn off skimmer? Any help/tips are much appreciated.
If anyone has a used eshopps skimmer please pm me.
Thanks
Hi Deric,
Yes the skimmer helps to take some dirty stuffs out, but what about your water parameter, temp and salinity ( since you told us you dont have ATO?
I think you need to eliminate any possible reason for it. Start with water chemistry like PO4, Nitrate (hair algea) and etc.

About time! Lol i have a qt 38g cube setup im running a aquamaxx hob its kicking but but for what your looking at youll def need a ato if the water level fluctuates your gonna be spinning your wheels trying to dial it in

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Sps color tho and algae prolly not because you dont have a skimmer tho. Id for sure check where p04 and nitrate are just remember your p04 is higher since your hair algae will be consuming p04 as it dies off p04 will rise! Where is p04 and nitrate at now and what are you testing with

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I have a bio cube skimmer you can have if you want to try it. It's a pump driven skimmer and really small

I have a bio cube skimmer you can have if you want to try it. It's a pump driven skimmer and really small
Im not sure if that will fit in the JBJ.

I had a friend give me a BOYU WG-310 skimmer, http://www.boyuaquarium.com/en_ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=441 .

I think this might fit. I am missing the foam around the piping and the plug? at the end of the airline tubing. What is that for?

Sounds like it might be more work to add a skimmer than its worth? Should i just stick with 1-2 week water changes?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Why do you suggest this? Is this causing an issue?
Detritus trap mostly. Your live rock is doing most the work anyway.

Do you suck out from the back chambers for regular water changes? That was a must for me, at least every other week I'd syphon everything that settled back there. I'd also turn my flow off and blast my rock with a turkey baster before I'd syphon from the display.

Those tiny little skimmers that sit in the back section are all crap IME. If you can't fit a decent HOB I'd ditch the idea. The ones that sit in the water constantly need adjustments & overflow. My filter rack ran filter floss, carbon/GFO. I'd have the floss up top aND change it out twice a week or when it looked dirty. It would help me manually remove crap and food before it broke down.

And small up flow ATS would probably be a better purchase. I ran a fuge in the back of my JBJ 24 and it just wasn't large enough to really help.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I put an upflow algae scrubber on my 28 gallon. It was an easy install and worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[MENTION=7067]Smite[/MENTION] , i have not done any deep cleaning in the rear chambers other than swapping out floss. I need to turkey bast again, its been awhile since i have done it. I will try and give that a shot. Ill toss the rings as well. I was told that i needed them for extra bacteria. I'll look into the idea of an up flow ATS, not to familiar with the whole process so ill do some research.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Do you have the cube where the back chamber area is open or covered by the lid?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
[MENTION=7067]Smite[/MENTION] , i have not done any deep cleaning in the rear chambers other than swapping out floss. I need to turkey bast again, its been awhile since i have done it. I will try and give that a shot. Ill toss the rings as well. I was told that i needed them for extra bacteria. I'll look into the idea of an up flow ATS, not to familiar with the whole process so ill do some research.
I battled cyano for a long time in my cube. Stuff is prone to settling in those back chambers, I was blown away how much stuff I'd pull from back there every water change. I'd bet that's what's feeding your algae as well.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I wonder if the Tunze 9002 skimmer would fit??? That is the only small skimmer that is have had success with. I'm pretty sure the one I have would also fit in your tank. The collection cup only holds like a shot glass worth of skimate. If there was a way you could run a hang on back skimmer I think that would show you the biggest results.

I wonder if the Tunze 9002 skimmer would fit??? That is the only small skimmer that is have had success with. I'm pretty sure the one I have would also fit in your tank. The collection cup only holds like a shot glass worth of skimate. If there was a way you could run a hang on back skimmer I think that would show you the biggest results.
I like the idea of the algae scrubber. Im going to check on measurements to see if i can fit one in the back chambers.