Sump Layout fuge/skimmer/pump

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
I am researching sump layout and design and came across the 'Triton' sump layout.

Basically the Triton sump puts the refugium in the first section then the skimmer in the middle and pump on the third section. The overflow from each chamber is changed a little bit and it recommends a variety of macro and PO4 reactors.

My question is compared to the 'traditional' sump layout (skimmer/fuge/pump) will this be ok to run even though I dont use Triton? Any negatives on this layout.

to me it makes sense to feed the macros the PO4 and detritus directly first since thats like fertilizer. I probly would go sockless so the pods get a chance

any thoughts?

Last edited:
I am researching sump layout and design and came across the 'Triton' sump layout.

Basically the Triton sump puts the refugium in the first section then the skimmer in the middle and pump on the third section. The overflow from each chamber is changed a little bit and it recommends a variety of macro and PO4 reactors.

My question is compared to the 'traditional' sump layout (skimmer/fuge/pump) will this be ok to run even though I dont use Triton? Any negatives on this layout.

to me it makes sense to feed the macros the PO4 and detritus directly first since thats like fertilizer. I probly would go sockless so the pods get a chance

any thoughts?

Alan,
I think quite opposite. I think the first section is Skimmer section to skim out as much as bad stuffs as it can. I don't think Skimmer able to skim out 100% so plenty left for refugium. I think the refugium chaeto is like sponge (mechanical filtration) that trap all the detritus and other stuffs. The skimmer can't get to it.
It is kind defeat skimmer purpose, and faulty your water faster.

My sump has return pump section in the middle. Refugium and skimmer section on the sides. drain go to skimmer section. The refugium is fed by return

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I also think it should go skimmer, fuge, pump for a few reasons
1: having the fuge behind the skimmer will help get rid of those pesky micro bubbles that find there way into the display
2: the skimmer will pull of the waste out of your water and then the fuge will suck up the nitrate and phosphate that is in your water. If that stuff hits your fuge first it will just get trapped there and slowly break down instead of being removed from the skimmer
3: there is less of a chance for a peice of macro algae to end up in your skimmer pump