QT - Prazipro or copper treatment first?

I'm currently in the same mindset. I've been lucky enough to get velvet in my system 2x now. Nearly wiped out the whole tank both times, so I'm on high alert.

What do you do for new frags? Are you qt'ing those as well?
I don't qt new corals, I wish I could but I just can't set up another tank. I just dip them, but I haven't really added any in quite awhile because it's pretty full now, just time to let them grow out.

I use cupramine for Copper and Ive used that with prazipro at the same time. I do a freshwater dip first and that gets rid of most of the black Ick (you can actually see some floss like stuff floating on water surface) then have prazipro to wipe out the rest. I turn off the skimmer once the prazipro goes in. Not sure if it helps but I also feed new life spectrum regular and hex both dipped in Kent marine garlic extreme during this treatment. Prazipro takes away their appetite so I end up squirting some garlic extreme into the tank (I'm usually in panic mode with all the diseases so I would do any and everything). This worked out well for me so far.

I also dip corals n never qt them. I use revive to dip. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Solid advices here. Anyone else want to share their qt protocol. I have 6 eating fish in qt right now and they all seem to be healthy and eating. Should I go prazipro first or copper?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I ordered the Hanna Copper Checker today. I plan to do copper first, then prazi or general cure after.

I got it from [MENTION=6299]MarineDepot[/MENTION]. https://www.marinedepot.com/Hanna_I...uariums-Hanna_Instruments-HN1702-FITE-vi.html
What type of copper do you two plan to use?

A few people on another forum got me second guessing whether the Hanna kit was meant for saltwater use. I dug around and couldn't find it stating it was and stopped using it after a failed QT. Looking for that thread I found a bunch of people seem to be using it now with success, so that's good to know! With something as sensitive as Copper it's nice not to rely on color change type tests. I had success with it battling velvet in my 100g, paired with Copper Power. Wrasse and other copper sensitive fish made it through. It looks like their recommended dose is overkill according to humblefish on R2R, so if you plan to go that route adjust for it. I never had a problem with O.D. but I also raised my levels over 5 or so days if I didn't see signs of velvet.

What fish do you both have in QT now? Pics :) ?
[MENTION=1]EyeReef[/MENTION] If I don't notice signs of ich or velvet I like to start with prazipro. I've lost a few fish with no real symptoms and I always wonder if it was parasitic so I like to rule that out early. Getting 2 weeks into a copper treatment and wondering if that flashing is flukes or ich sucks.

What type of copper do you two plan to use?

A few people on another forum got me second guessing whether the Hanna kit was meant for saltwater use. I dug around and couldn't find it stating it was and stopped using it after a failed QT. Looking for that thread I found a bunch of people seem to be using it now with success, so that's good to know! With something as sensitive as Copper it's nice not to rely on color change type tests. I had success with it battling velvet in my 100g, paired with Copper Power. Wrasse and other copper sensitive fish made it through. It looks like their recommended dose is overkill according to humblefish on R2R, so if you plan to go that route adjust for it. I never had a problem with O.D. but I also raised my levels over 5 or so days if I didn't see signs of velvet.

What fish do you both have in QT now? Pics :) ?
[MENTION=1]EyeReef[/MENTION] If I don't notice signs of ich or velvet I like to start with prazipro. I've lost a few fish with no real symptoms and I always wonder if it was parasitic so I like to rule that out early. Getting 2 weeks into a copper treatment and wondering if that flashing is flukes or ich sucks.
Yeah I stumbled on that thread on R2R where they were testing the accuracy of the checker and it seemed to be fairly accurate. I consulted my qt mentor lol and he also said to start with prazi or general cure then do the copper. I have seachem cupramine. I currently have a tiny sailfin tang and a tiny blue tang in QT. They arent showing any signs of disease or parasites at this point and are eating well. I added the general cure dose yesterday and will add another dose tomorrow evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
I started off with prazipro and all the fish are doing great including a beautiful pintail wrasse. I am quite nervous about copper when it comes to wrasses. Cupramine negative impact on a possum wrasse was immediate and I believe it killed an established Hawaiian wrasse. I will stick with coppersafe from now on.