Help! Mixing barrel giving off nitrates..

I just built mixing station.. And after extensive testing of all my water at diff stages.. My barrel is leaching nitrates into my sw! Over 64 ppm w Red Sea test!

Is there anything I can do to remedy? I of course rinsed it like crazy before.. And it had vinegar stored in it I believe since I got it used I can't confirm..

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

Also.. can I test the rodi water in the other barrel using the redsea sw test kit for nitrates? IDK if it's one or both barrels now..

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
Don't know about the nitrates but I just wanted to say I think your plumbing came out really nice!

Thanks.. wish I didnt feel like it was all wasted effort at this point though :/
My rodi is 0 tds ( up to 3 when taken from barrel tho which I find is typical coming out of plastic.. once transfered into glass it's back to 0)
The sw I mixed in a glass pitcher tested 0 trates.. then coming from my barrel it is over 64ppm.. fml :(

Wait.. I answered my own question.. the rodi barrel is fine. I used that water to test newly mixed sw in a glass pitcher and it was 0 nitrates..duh
Still freaking out about the sw barrel tho..

Test error? Why would the rodi test 0 but they sw test high? Both had vinegar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idk honestly.. One smelled tho.
I think it's the test I just bought! I'm losing it.. Now my sw barrel reads 0 nitrates.. I've done like 20 tests today.. This is so inconsistent! I'm gonna keep going and see how diff they come out.. So irritated! Following same directions each time of course..

Shoot I need that water. I wouldnt have to dose nitrates daily.

Shoot I need that water. I wouldnt have to dose nitrates daily.

You wouldn't want that level tho !! Lol how much do you dose?
Vendor said it held vinegar.. So I just soaked it in rodi and scrubbed a bit then rinsed twice.
I'm gonna start doing more testing is and check the variance in this test .. Hopefully it's s bad test. Cause I know I've not gotten that scatterbrained.. Yet!

You wouldn't want that level tho !! Lol how much do you dose?
Vendor said it held vinegar.. So I just soaked it in rodi and scrubbed a bit then rinsed twice.
I'm gonna start doing more testing is and check the variance in this test .. Hopefully it's s bad test. Cause I know I've not gotten that scatterbrained.. Yet!

I dose 20ml a day of solution. I mix 2 tsp of potassium nitrate with 8oz rodi to make the solution.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Can I ask..why you need to dose? Is it a fish free system?

I dose KNO3 because I have too much PO4 and not enough NO3. If there too much of one over the other, it'll out compete and continue to rise. In my case, I had a lot of Cyano but both PO4 and NO3 where not present on my test kits. There was for sure PO4 because of the cyano and I'm assuming the cyano was consuming the PO4 before the test kits could pick them up. So I started dosing KNO3 and the cyano slowly started going away. There's a relation between PO4 and NO3 so you have to try and keep that balanced. What those exact numbers are, unfortunately I have no idea.

Good to know! I've been battling cyano fir the first time since setting up this third upgrade. I assumed it was a product of the new tank setup this time I guess. Well.. Since retesting now.. My No3 is at 8ppm.. :/ gonna check po4 now. So I assume my nitrate level is not the culprit .. But my po4 might be? I've just been symphoning it.. But am considering using slime away. Never dealt w it before.. It's nasty!