PH reading very high ????

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I unplugged it then 5 mins later plugged it back in. Moved the pH probe to the refugium and now it is giving me a reading of 8.38. I think that is pretty accurate but I'm gonna recalibrate just to be sure. When it was on the skimmer area it had lots of bubbles on the probe plus that compartment of the skimmer has to have a pretty high PH with all the oxygen the skimmer mixes in the water. I'm not sure if I can leave the probe in the fuge. I don't want anything to mess it. Maybe I will just leave it there and clean it ever week. The reason I'm using a ph probe is to monitor the amount of kalk I can add. I'm also monitoring calcium for the same reason. So for now I think it's working as it should. I'm going to pick up a ph test kit and compare the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
We cant help if you don't answer any of the trouble-shooting questions...
I haven't tested it with any other test kit yet. I have the most updated firmware. I moved the probe to an area that doesn't have a lot of bubbles. I think it's working now. I'm going to put it in the calibration solution tonight when I get home and see how it reads. If it reads 7 on the low and ten on the high then I know I'm good if not I will try to recalibrate it.

I haven't tested it with any other test kit yet. I have the most updated firmware. I moved the probe to an area that doesn't have a lot of bubbles. I think it's working now. I'm going to put it in the calibration solution tonight when I get home and see how it reads. If it reads 7 on the low and ten on the high then I know I'm good if not I will try to recalibrate it.
Nice, now we're talking ! Lol
Seems like you got it figured out

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
The plot thickens. So I turns out The probe will not calibrate. I never bothered to read the screen when it was done the first time I just turned back to the main screen and wondered why it didn't show me the ph level. It did show a level in fusion but since it's not properly calibrated I was getting the abnormally high readings.bow when I try to calibrate the probe it the low part will barely move and the high part will love the number but no where near ten??i tried just getting a reading from the calibration fluid but since it was not calibrated the levels on both fluids gave me a false reading. I'm going to talk to the people at Neptune and see what the next step is. I'm thinking its a bad probe

The plot thickens. So I turns out The probe will not calibrate. I never bothered to read the screen when it was done the first time I just turned back to the main screen and wondered why it didn't show me the ph level. It did show a level in fusion but since it's not properly calibrated I was getting the abnormally high readings.bow when I try to calibrate the probe it the low part will barely move and the high part will love the number but no where near ten??i tried just getting a reading from the calibration fluid but since it was not calibrated the levels on both fluids gave me a false reading. I'm going to talk to the people at Neptune and see what the next step is. I'm thinking its a bad probe
You didn't take the plastic cap off the probe did you? :)

good judgement in the care of reef animals is harder to develop than the technical knowledge of reefkeeping. i wouldnt have assumed that the high pH reading was wrong, if the pH probe passed initial standardized pH calibration. pH, temp, salinity critical parameters that can crash a tank quickly. pH reading of 12 have been seen with kalk overdose, of 6 with CO2 overdose (carx).

1. new ph probe calibration
2. abnormal pH reading- check tank with another pH test (colorimetric test, or another separate handheld pH probe test)
3. normal reading with another test method, your tank still appears normal (big sigh of relief)- test new pH probe in another stable tank that got a normal reading with the 2nd test method (cross check)
4. conclusion- new ph probe is not calibrated/ not working- repair or replace the new probe

sorry so dogmatic, i preach crash prevention

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Problem solved!!!!!!
I knew it was going to be something stupid and it was. I was using the wrong probe. As I was talking to the Neptune rep I mentioned that the probe was red. Turns out I have an ORP probe!!!! The only thing I'm pissed about is the frustration and time it has taken to figure this out. I never even considered I was sent the wrong probe. A new one is being sent out to me today I think the the process will go smoothly. I also have to add that Neptune and marine depot have great customer service and took care of my problem throughly and quickly. The funny thing is if I would have mentioned the color of the probe on this thread I could have had the problem solved a while ago. I'll show you guys the finished product when the right probe gets here

Reef on reefers!

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Got the new probe today. Hooked it up and calibrated it. Super easy and now it works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armanslr

Great to see it solved! I doubt you would have mentioned the color of the probe, but if you had taken a photo it would have helped.

Latest posts