I'm losing my battle w Cyano.. What's best to try?

I had bad cyano a few months back. Did daily water changes and it would just come back. I did chemi clean and it worked great, but just for a few days. I added conches and a tiger tail cucumber and they helped but couldn't keep up with the daily growth. What I think finally helped was not siphoning the sand during water changes. I think letting bacteria and critters settle in the sand helped increase my natural bio filtration, instead of constantly disturbing it. You might want to try leaving your sand bed alone if all else fails. The thing I also noticed with my cyano was that it was just on the sand.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I have chemiclean if you want it. In not to far from you. I had a small case of it and cleared up in a day. Didn't effect anything in the tank

I had bad cyano a few months back. Did daily water changes and it would just come back. I did chemi clean and it worked great, but just for a few days. I added conches and a tiger tail cucumber and they helped but couldn't keep up with the daily growth. What I think finally helped was not siphoning the sand during water changes. I think letting bacteria and critters settle in the sand helped increase my natural bio filtration, instead of constantly disturbing it. You might want to try leaving your sand bed alone if all else fails. The thing I also noticed with my cyano was that it was just on the sand.
As a rule I really have never siphoned my sandbed. But mine is growing on the Rockwork as well :(

jedimasterben posted the formula to make it with the amazon calcium carbonate. I ordered some and made a 20 oz bottle with it about 6 weeks ago and I've only used about 1/2 of it. Unless you're using it really frequently or have a huge system 1 pound of the calcium carbonate will last forever.

I'm sure I'll throw away the extra before I use it all.

momo

Currently battling cyano myself. Been using Dr tims waste away, progress is slow but the cyano is decreasing. Also been doing weekly 10 gal water change.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

m2140

I've dealt with cyano several time over the years and I always got it because of poor maintenance. Not keeping a steady schedule cleaning, water changes and swapping media always got me.

I would recommend

1. chemiclean to stop it now. Make sure you add tons of oxygen into the water while using it. I used a spare pump with airline hoses in the display tank to add water flow & plenty of oxygen. You may need to carbon dose if your phosphate levels are high.
2. sea cucumbers to take care of your sand bed and don't touch it anymore ( recommend pink and Black Sea cucumbers they look nicer)
3. Replenish your clean up crew ( avoid turbo snails, they eat a lot and when food runs out and die they just poison you tank)
4 keep a regular clean up, water changes and media change schedule. Use an aquarium app like aqua planner or just reminders on your phone at set intervals.
5. Test your level at least once a week and change your media early when you notice increases out of the norm.

Hope this help. Last time I had the problem I reworked my sump setup to make maintenance easier and I've had over 6 months now without another algae problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cisco64

Gfo helped me. I used a brs reactor. The only problem I saw was that my alk was getting low because of using gfo, so you wohld need to supplement.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk