are we going back to bio balls

Why would you want 0 nitrates?
No, you don't want 0 nitrates. But it is much easier to add them to get to an appropriate level than it is to get rid of them.

I did notice a slow down in growth after adding the blocks, but I am also having issues with phosphates (from feeding pellets), so I can't say just yet if it is caused by the 0 nitrates. I've been running a GFO reactor the past week, so we'll see how it goes.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I got through about 12 pages of this thread, lots of good information. I saw someone specifically ask why the 25mm is better than the 15mm but I didn't see a response, is it just because there's less chance for detris buildup?
they both do the same thing but the larger ones collect less detritus.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like a great idea. I would like to know how that works out. Are you going to also do a mixture of bio media or just siporax?
im going to be using the smaller siporax. I will be running it in line with my other reactor. we will see how it works.

im going to be using the smaller siporax. I will be running it in line with my other reactor. we will see how it works.
I was thinking about adding 1L to my sump, I have a chamber that I could create a basket for and drop it in, would only take up about half of the chamber. I don't have any issues with nitrates but have been dealing with cyano and have eliminating it by dosing microbacter. Not sure that I'll see much benefit by adding the siporax but extra filtration isn't usually a bad thing.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter

This is what I ordered. I got the smaller stuff, I thought it would be better seeing as it's going in a reactor. Should be easy to clean I'm also going to run a pre filter on the pump to help keep the junk out. We will see how it goes