F douche bags
    Name
    derk
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Ngo View Post
    The glow plug should glow like amber color on the end that goes into the engine. When in doubt throw it out and put a new one in. The glow plug is really cheap to be messing around all day.

Sound like the battery for the wand is old. You may need to replace it.

Check the label on the fuel on what % is the nitro. You can use other brands, but try to use the same % on the nitro.
    I was going to check fuel % last night but didn't have time. but instead 20% is recommended. what happens with higher %? faster and pushes engine harder I assume. I'll buy a new battery. thanks.
    Fraggers anonymous -hi, my name is derk. And I'm a fragaholic

Registered Member
    Name
    Tommy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycove View Post
    I was going to check fuel % last night but didn't have time. but instead 20% is recommended. what happens with higher %? faster and pushes engine harder I assume. I'll buy a new battery. thanks.
    Typically higher nitro is meant for racing.

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@JOSE CASAS ,he's the nitro king
    60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. 30G nano, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15

Contributing Member
    Name
    Kenny
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you know if the plug is bad or not? my easy start wand has a light that says glow but does it light if bad or light if good? idk. lol. but it diesnt light. right now I'm just assuming it's the glow plug that is bad. he had some terrible connections too with electrical tape so I ordered a whole new harnest for the easy started. which has one connection to glow plug.
    You can take the glowplug out and connect the wire and ground the plug on the motor to see if it glows like a cigarette.

Name
    JOSE CASAS
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
    @JOSE CASAS ,he's the nitro king
    @solitude127
    Lol no u are! Mike I just got back into and everyone is waiting for u to one back lol.

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JOSE CASAS View Post
    @solitude127
    Lol no u are! Mike I just got back into and everyone is waiting for u to one back lol.
    Ha. What are your racing with? still 1/10th scale?
    60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. 30G nano, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15

Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check out the track in Montclair, Revelation Raceway.
    I have a few nitro 1/8 buggies

Name
    Eric
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Ngo View Post
    Sound like the battery for the wand is old. You may need to replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by babyjess210 View Post
    You can take the glowplug out and connect the wire and ground the plug on the motor to see if it glows like a cigarette.
    So basic engine rules if won't start, two main reasons: no fuel or no "spark"...

First thing to check is the glow plug. Did it come with a wrench to remove it?

Don't worry about the fuel brand or %.

I agree with Tommy. Sounds like the igniter needs to be charged. Did the igniter come with a charger?

If the glow plug doesn't immediately turn orange/red, then charge the igniter and try again. If it still doesn't glow, then yeah get a new one. Get a few actually they go bad after a while.

The tuning instructions from Traxxas are pretty right on and it sounds like you found good ones on the net. (YouTube would also be good.) It's not that tricky but avoid the "turning a bunch of knobs" approach. As you've found out, that's bad news.

I used to own a hobby shop and still have RcChopShop.com. I sold off all my stuff, except a couple things like an old scorpion and E-maxx and a Savage .21. Waiting for my kids to get old enough before I pull them out again. (Spending enough on this hobby at the moment anyway!)
    Last edited by SanClementeEric; 04-12-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    Member: IEMAS - LARS - MASLAC - SCRK - SCMAS
    Current 100 Gal shallow reef. New addition, coming soon: 130 Gallon shallow lagoon
    My Journey: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPC...leDy71yqnTs_xw

Name
    JOSE CASAS
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@solitude127
    Just put together 1/10 scale but focusing on 1/8 for sure.

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Just put together 1/10 scale but focusing on 1/8 for sure.
    I wish I had that kind of cash to race again. spending $600 on the 1/8th scale engine is tough. still racing at the transit center in gardena?

Name
    JOSE CASAS
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes and motors are like $250-300 a lot cheaper than before.

F douche bags
    Name
    derk
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SanClementeEric View Post
    So basic engine rules if won't start, two main reasons: no fuel or no "spark"...

First thing to check is the glow plug. Did it come with a wrench to remove it?

Don't worry about the fuel brand or %.

I agree with Tommy. Sounds like the igniter needs to be charged. Did the igniter come with a charger?

If the glow plug doesn't immediately turn orange/red, then charge the igniter and try again. If it still doesn't glow, then yeah get a new one. Get a few actually they go bad after a while.

The tuning instructions from Traxxas are pretty right on and it sounds like you found good ones on the net. (YouTube would also be good.) It's not that tricky but avoid the "turning a bunch of knobs" approach. As you've found out, that's bad news.

I used to own a hobby shop and still have RcChopShop.com. I sold off all my stuff, except a couple things like an old scorpion and E-maxx and a Savage .21. Waiting for my kids to get old enough before I pull them out again. (Spending enough on this hobby at the moment anyway!)
    i will test the glow when I get home. either way I probably want a bag laying around. I didn't look for a wrench since there's a huge tote og parts but j just used a mechanic deep socket to get it out. the glow plug area was full of dust. I hope I didn't get any in the head. I also sprayed wd40 in there like a few posts said. and my wand did have a charger and I've been charging it before every time I try and start it to make sure it has enough juice. and if you want to give up one of those RCS I have a 36x36x24 AGE tank I want to get rid of. lol. tank only and I paid 350

F douche bags
    Name
    derk
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok frustration has set in. luckily my stuff came in today. my glow plug was out. I put the new glow on and it fired up but died after just a second or two. then it never stayed in. I had removed the cooling head previously to clean it. I dont recall seeing a washer or anything. but it's on tight but while trying to start it I see a small amount of gas splatter out where the cooling head meets the engine(I think engine). my wand now lights up saying flow so I assume that means the glow is good. but now not firing.

Registered Member
    Name
    Tommy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok frustration has set in. luckily my stuff came in today. my glow plug was out. I put the new glow on and it fired up but died after just a second or two. then it never stayed in. I had removed the cooling head previously to clean it. I dont recall seeing a washer or anything. but it's on tight but while trying to start it I see a small amount of gas splatter out where the cooling head meets the engine(I think engine). my wand now lights up saying flow so I assume that means the glow is good. but now not firing.
    Do you have some pictures of what you had done?

Registered Member
    Name
    gary
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this Rc talk makes me want one..any have 1 for sale..lol

16. Likes cowboycove liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information