I think im screwed. House has termites!!! What do to with my 2 reef tanks?!?

Me and my brother were doing some house chores when we discovered the wood beams on our roof looked like it has water damage on it. Upon further investigation, turns out its termite damage, and its pretty bad. Looks like were gunna hire someone to tent out house, but what am i going to do with my tanks?!?! Anybody had the same situation in the past? What did you do? Any advice helps. Thanks!
-Mike

I really dont feel like breaking down my tanks and setting them up again, i just got it dailed in and stable. Hope theres a way i can avoid taking them down...

Dang, that's a total bummer!! Not an expert I n that type of situation but I would take 0 chances, the inevitable will probably have to be done

newe70

2020 Philanthropist
Me and my brother were doing some house chores when we discovered the wood beams on our roof looked like it has water damage on it. Upon further investigation, turns out its termite damage, and its pretty bad. Looks like were gunna hire someone to tent out house, but what am i going to do with my tanks?!?! Anybody had the same situation in the past? What did you do? Any advice helps. Thanks!
-Mike
See this link, bud!

http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/showthread.php?72102-help!-termiting&highlight=Termite+fumigation

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
[MENTION=989]babyjess210[/MENTION]

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

-Mike
I sold most of my sps and kept a few. Move all my fish, corals and cuc to my mom where I set up a 60 gallon tank. I had a few hermits, frags and snail still in the tank and wrap it like Steve mention with an airstone in the tank and pump outside the house. The fumigation company will not tent the house knowing there are living fish or cuc in the tank so I told them the corals are fake and hermit shells are empty. Some company will not fumigate even if you sign a waiver as they can get fine $$$ knowing killing fish or livestock. Came home after 2 days and everything was alive including the frags, hermits and snails.

If I was to do it all over again I will do the same. Too much money in the tank only to "hope" everything is ok when you come home.

HTH

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I had my house tented when I had my 180. I wrapped it in painters plastic and taped it up good. I turned off the skimmer/return pump and in the main tank I ran the heaters, an air pump and one small powerhead. nothing died.

I had termites and after talking with several companies decided to on spot treatments rather than tenting. Saved $1,500 and it worked. The issue was bad flashing above a window. I did cut open the wall and replace some framing, but only because I am a retired carpenter and could do it myself. Drywood termites need some moisture despite the name. This is why termites swarm after spring rains. 3 years and no termites.

Ask Wayne he had no problem with full Reef Tank when his house was tented last year, I think there is a thread on RC about it. He ran a air line from outside to aerate tank and left the flow on with no problem.

If you wrap up the tank, is there a possibilty the termites would hide out in your stand/canopy? Seek refuge in your refugium? If it happened to me & there was not way out, with the future resale value of the house in jeopardy, i would use it as an upgrade opportunity.

How big are your tanks? If small, just move them. If you have high end pieces, have a friend hold them or take them to your workplace.

Thanks all for the input. I have a 45 rimless and a 29 biocube. If it comes down to it, i can move my tanks to my sosters house for the time being if we do go with the house being tented. Luckily she lives across the street from us.... LOL, call me lazy but soo what. I talked to my boss and co worker and they had a few customers that needed to treat their house for termites. They went with orange oil treatment instead of tenting the house which is 2/3 less in price. We're having an inspector come tomorrow to inspect our house. I hope its not that bad.

Well it looks like we'll be getting our home fumigated. Theres certain areas that cant be reached due to the way our house is designed. the orange oil spot treatment isnt 100% gauranteed to kill off all the termites. To add to that, we found out that we also have subterranean termites under out garage. Termite treatment plus wood repair on a few structural beams that the termites got to is quoted around 4k. As far as my tank, im not taking any risk on leaving them unattended. my boss offered to house my corals, lr, and fish at my work until the fumigation is complete.. I will be leaving my tanks where they are and sealing them with the plastic bags and tape the termite company provided. Kinda bummed about the damage those bastards caused. Looking in the bright side, im going to redo my rock work. Im gunna try out a bonsai style aquascape. Well see how things go. I hope all my fish and corals make it through in the process... :/

So today around 10am, the termite company came and took off the tent. I checked both tanks and i notice i forgot a few soft corals ans snails in both tanks. None of which were affected. Today i worked on the rockscape of my sps tank. It took a while but came out to where i like it. I tried a new product from Aquaforest, called stone fix. It work perfecty to glue down the rock together to make my bonsai scape.. Its a pretty dang good epoxy powder. you mix with water to the consistency that you want. Looks more natural then the epoxy sticks from two lil fishes etc. anyways, im letting my tank run with matured water That came from a coral tank at work. Also running fresh carbon and a polypfilter. Im going to test my water tomorrow and see how the parameters are. Hopefully everything is good and theres no mini cycle so i can place my corals back.. Heres the new scape.

newe70

2020 Philanthropist
@ericta000 mentiioned ur post. I went thru a termite process like u are abt to go through. It is doable without having to break down ur tanks.
I believed I only lost 2-3 fishes.

Give me a call bud!