Rimless DIY Aquarium

Hey Gang,

I'm back again with the same idea...I come with specs this time.

This is what I had in mind. For some reason the idea of making my own aquarium has been driving me nuts. I have been doing some research on it and have found a website that kind of sells kits, pretty much just the glass with or without holes and overflow box. I'm not really thinking of going this way as I'm hard headed and what to do it all on my own or at least as much as my small tool collection will allow me to.

I have only called one place for glass prices so far but I will do more research on this soon. I was priced at $235 with holes. Tthat was for 3/8 side glass and 1/2 bottom glass. The glass guy said he cuts holes for $15 each but I like the idea of doing it myself. Looks like I can get a diamond tip hole saw for under $10 at Harbor Freight Tools. I have seen some video on cutting glass holes and it "look" easy enough.

I'm not really doing this to save money but it really wouldn't make sense if it was more. I still need to check on how much the overflow box will be to have made in acrylic.

Things I worried about: The idea so far is that it will be rimless but I'm concerned because I think I want a connecting canopy. Is it safe to use canopy's on rimless tanks? I can get the normal black plastic frame online that I can cut to size if I have to. Second, is it safe to have a "back center" drilled overflow box on a tank this small? Thanks for reading.

What do you fellow reefers think?

90sShooter

+1 what's the point of a rimless tank with a canopy? Just saying...

Interesting idea though... I like to do a LOT of DIY stuff myself... but I honestly wouldn't build a tank from scratch... MODIFY a tank, yes! But build one from scratch? I wouldn't trust myself, lol.

Don't mean to be so negative, good luck on the build! Keep us posted!

TheBluefish

Supporter
Hey Gang,

I'm having a problem finding a cut to size trim. This aquarium is an odd size, I cant just pick up one of those standard frames. I found a few places tonight. One is wholesale and I think I would have to buy a box full and the other one I'm not sure of.

I don't really like the idea of a canopy but the tank sit across from my couch and the light shines right in your eyes at that level. I'm putting this in my home office. I have one now but it's too tall with the stand to put a full canopy on. The room's ceiling is at a slant on the side with the tank and it has to go on that wall. Right now I have a none enclosed light stand/canopy that sits on the tank and I can slide it back when I need to access the tank.

This is one of the big reason for the tank build too. The new design has a little larger footprint but is not as tall. Thanks for reading.

PS- I think I can avoid having to sit the canopy on the tank itself by applying a couple 2x4s to the back of the stand that reach up past the tank's top. I then would be able attach the canopy to the 2x4's with some heavy duty hinges.

Last edited:

TheBluefish

Supporter
Man I cant compete with the price I just got on a complete aquarium. I called around today and the cheapest I found for the glass was $227