Water change techniques?

This question is for anyone with coral placed up higher in their tanks.

I recently started putting up corals on higher shelves and when I did water change I forgot about the coral on the top shelf and pretty much left them out of the water for a few minutes until I was ready to replenish the tank with new water...and now that I think about it, i probably killed my clam during that process

What should I do in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clams definitely can't be exposed to air repeatedly
or for prolonged period of time. You can put most corals higher up and they can survive being out of water but it can cause stress and lead to color loss.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

My drain tube won't empty out that much water. So I'll try water change from the sumo next time. I normally like to do 5gallon water change for me 20g tank. I'll update this in a month
Point your return nozzles down when you shut the return off, they will syphon water back into your sump until it pulls air. If I point mine all the way down I can get it to till my 28g sump, I do 15g changes max on mime and that will give me more than enough

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
When you guys do water changes don't you want to do it in the tank so you can suck up any detritus that's sitting in there or clean the sand bed. That's what I do. I syphon into a fave gallon bucket, then I have a 5 gallon water container with a large opening on top that a power head can fit in. When I have vacuumed up five gallons of water, I just pump the new stuff in

When you guys do water changes don't you want to do it in the tank so you can suck up any detritus that's sitting in there or clean the sand bed. That's what I do. I syphon into a fave gallon bucket, then I have a 5 gallon water container with a large opening on top that a power head can fit in. When I have vacuumed up five gallons of water, I just pump the new stuff in
I do 5 gallons in the sump and 5 in the DT. I clean sections of my sand bed and baste junk off rocks every time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

a lot of old school reefers strictly did water changes in the sump; in fact any additions only to the sump for maximum slow mixing and stability.

I usually do my water changes from the sump as well. I just have a T off the return line to pump water out of the sump. I like to use a powerhead to stir up any settled detritus and pump it out.

karm40

I change from my refugium 20 gallons. Siphon out detritus and dump in new water. Since there is a slow return from the refugium it alters the tank chemistry slowly.

Latest posts