McCosker Wrasse Hibernation? Bizzare Story.

Hey I don't normally post much on here but what happened today was just too bizarre to not share.

So long story short, I had a McCosker flasher wrasse in my 50 cube that had some very slight ich on it, he disappeared a few weeks back, at least 3-4 weeks and i figured he had just succumbed. I ended up getting another mccosker wrasse which has been just fine. Healthy and happy.

Well this morning I turned my lights on, and God knows how, but the other flasher wrasse was up and about swimming! I know have two mccosker flashers in my 50. There is no question about it. Lol.

It was at least 3-4 weeks between the wrasse completely disappearing, me buying another flasher wrasse, and this other coming back from the dead this morning. I can't believe it!

Anyone have any kind of a story like this?? I assume it was just borrowed in the sand for almost a month! Holy cow.

from what I know is that fairy wrasses sleep in cocoons not burrowing in sand. I think they hide until they are comfortable enough to come out. Maybe you adding the other flasher made the older one more confident to come out. I bought a Naoko wrasse from a fellow reefer & after acclimating to my tank i didnt see until 1 week later when it decided to come out, but i thought i had lost it too.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

from what I know is that fairy wrasses sleep in cocoons not burrowing in sand. I think they hide until they are comfortable enough to come out. Maybe you adding the other flasher made the older one more confident to come out. I bought a Naoko wrasse from a fellow reefer & after acclimating to my tank i didnt see until 1 week later when it decided to come out, but i thought i had lost it too.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
One week seems fairly normal to me. I've had that happen. But 4 weeks?! Wouldn't it starve jeez.?

swiftism

Premium Member
Supporter
I added a flaming prawn goby to my 30 gallon tank in April 2015. I've seen it three times i think, last time was a couple of months ago. Not sure if its gone this time.....?