Maxima Clam placement

csalsaito

Tried to get him to attach to small rock. But ended up moving off slightly. He is in a traditional 29 gallon tank on the sand bed bottom right of the tank. I'm using a hydra AI 52 HD about 15in from water. Do you think it'll be comfortable there? Does it need to be fed. He is about between 1 and 2 inches. No dosing is going on. My ammonia levels nitrite levels are both 0. And nitrate is around 20. I have no tested any other levels. Tank only has coral and the one clam in it.
https://vimeo.com/164793329

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxima clams are not sand dwellers they live on rocks where they can get some flow but not too much. When placed in an area they don't like they will move, you don't have to but you can add clam specific food to your tank but very little and not often they don't need much.

csalsaito

Maxima clams are not sand dwellers they live on rocks where they can get some flow but not too much. When placed in an area they don't like they will move, you don't have to but you can add clam specific food to your tank but very little and not often they don't need much.
So how should I proceed with his placement?

Yeah he's Newtothis back in 2011. Screen names don't evolve. You need to feed macronutrients with a siphon.

Use a turkey Baster or something and squirt that s right at it. They're filter feeders so your skimmer matters. If it's overpowered and you leave it on always you'll kill the clams and sps. When you feed fish turn everything off specially powerheads and at least target feed the clam.

csalsaito

The little frag I want him on is right below him. will that suffice for placement?

As for feeding was macro stuff?

csalsaito

Yeah he's Newtothis back in 2011. Screen names don't evolve. You need to feed macronutrients with a siphon.

Use a turkey Baster or something and squirt that s right at it. They're filter feeders so your skimmer matters. If it's overpowered and you leave it on always you'll kill the clams and sps. When you feed fish turn everything off specially powerheads and at least target feed the clam.
Which macro nutrients?

You're overly concerned with moving it a lot. Just put it on one of the big rocks and let it be happy. They take a long long time to grow. Mine was happy in the sand for 6mos.

I place all 3 of mine over half clam shells. Attached in no time & I can move them around with ease.
Gl

Now on the rock work

I put my maxima clam on a flat surface at the bottom of the tank under LEDs. It's about 6 in big and hasn't moved since. Been 3 months so far? Try putting it on a flat surface. It'll probably attach itself there. I don't target feed it either and it's opened big.

csalsaito

I put my maxima clam on a flat surface at the bottom of the tank under LEDs. It's about 6 in big and hasn't moved since. Been 3 months so far? Try putting it on a flat surface. It'll probably attach itself there. I don't target feed it either and it's opened big.
I moved him a tad.

Kinda hard to see him wth the current lighting. But now he has algae growing in him any tips on fixing the hair algae growth cause he is rather small. I have no other livestock in the tank yet

Here is a photo of maxima clams I found while snorkeling in Thailand....

They are in about 15 feet from the waters surface embedded in a huge rock. There were tons of them. Every single one I saw were embedded.

Latest posts