Mandarin Goby

Do you guys think a mandarin goby will eat Copepods that are 1/2" big?
Mine are huge

Couple of them are about 3/4" big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Zoa eating kind IME. Melanarus wrasse will have them gone in under 2 days tops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3/4" amphipod???? What???? Haha mine don't get over an 1/8" (OK maybe a tiny bit bigger).

IME, mandarins don't typically go for amphipods unless they are very small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most wrasse would eat them. A larger Mandarin might, but I wouldn't add one with the expectation. I've never had a problem with them eating any of my coral. They're just a larger pod species.

Most wrasse would eat them. A larger Mandarin might, but I wouldn't add one with the expectation. I've never had a problem with them eating any of my coral. They're just a larger pod species.
They haven't touch my coral except an arco but I don't think that's what killed it.
Will a mandarin kill the smaller generation? So it will have a constant supply?
I am culturing pods for the mandarin but will they help in feeding it with the smaller ones?

They haven't touch my coral except an arco but I don't think that's what killed it.
Will a mandarin kill the smaller generation? So it will have a candy any supply?
I am culturing pods for the mandarin but will they help in feeding it with the smaller ones?
The Mandarin will definitely feed on pods, but if you really want to successfully keep a Mandarin, or possibly a pair, I'd highly recommend training it to frozen PE Mysis.

Okay I have isopod and tigger pods culturing but does it have to be PE Mysis?
PE mysis seem to be a bit large for most mandarins in my opinion. I got my mandarin through 6 weeks of qt in copper (which means no pods of any sort) by feeding frozen cyclops and baby brine shrimp.

If the Mandarin is super tiny you can start with Hikari Mysis, Otherwise PE Mysis is absolutely the best way to go. I've had several Mandarins and all were trained to PE Mysis. It keeps them fat and healthy. I've had 2 breeding pairs that would do the mating dance every night. That only happens when they're very well fed. The best way to do it is to use a coral feeding tube, that looks like a turkey baster, and squirt some in a low flow place near them. If you have other fish then shoot some higher in the tank for them so the Mandarin doesn't have to compete. They train pretty quick and will learn a specific feeding spot. once they're trained, usually 2 weeks tops, they start chasing the Mysis down. That's the best, and really only way, to have long term success with Mandarins.

Latest posts