Diabolic Pacman and RRUSA Pink Floyd are they the same coral???

All Delight

Going to the ocean, yes possible they are the same coral.

Going to how Chris acquired it initially. If it was the same coral it doesn't make sense that he would rename it and sell it for less than the pink Floyd. The pink Floyd was 2 or 3 times the price of the diabolic. For that reason I have the diabolic and not the pink Floyd.

WayneL333

This is partially true. You, me, and several others got it from Chris. But I myself have distributed this coral over the last 3 years to more than just a few people. I'd guess at least 10 people locally, and probably the same amount nationally.

But the Diabolic is definitely waaaay less distributed than the pink Floyd. Simply because it's not spread out nationally like the pink Floyd. I know those who got it from Chris early on loss theirs. I know because many of those people actually reacquired it from me.

Mine is an average grower in comparison to other acros.
This lineage explanation is pretty interesting since I got my Pacman from you D. On the opposite side, I'm pretty sure Tony at RR USA was the first to introduce the Pink Floyd here in the US. That's where I got my frag from but I lost it when acrylic tank seam failed. Anyway, I know Brian at Age got an original piece from Tony too and that's where I got my replacement frag from.

That being said, both of my Pacman and PF have grown and are mini colonies now. I have them Near each other and I can't tell the difference between the two. I'll take a pic when I clean my glass this weekend.

Oddly enough, they both grew at the same rate for me...average grower like D said.

WayneL333

Going to the ocean, yes possible they are the same coral.

Going to how Chris acquired it initially. If it was the same coral it doesn't make sense that he would rename it and sell it for less than the pink Floyd. The pink Floyd was 2 or 3 times the price of the diabolic. For that reason I have the diabolic and not the pink Floyd.
If they are the same, I can see why Chris may have charged less. Everyone knows RR sold their corals at a high premium. Some companies sell at a premium and others on volume...

All Delight

This lineage explanation is pretty interesting since I got my Pacman from you D. On the opposite side, I'm pretty sure Tony at RR USA was the first to introduce the Pink Floyd here in the US. That's where I got my frag from but I lost it when acrylic tank seam failed. Anyway, I know Brian at Age got an original piece from Tony too and that's where I got my replacement frag from.

That being said, both of my Pacman and PF have grown and are mini colonies now. I have them Near each other and I can't tell the difference between the two. I'll take a pic when I clean my glass this weekend.

Oddly enough, they both grew at the same rate for me...average grower like D said.
What's interesting about the lineage thing? Chris > Me > You. Yes Tony was the first. And yes, Brians is legitimate. I can remember him calling me walking out Tony's door when he bought it.

Yeah they look alike. I don't have the Pink Floyd, but just looking at them, they look similar.

All Delight

If they are the same, I can see why Chris may have charged less. Everyone knows RR sold their corals at a high premium. Some companies sell at a premium and others on volume...
Really? I can see why he'd charge less because he wasn't a "company". But, why would he rename it and sell it for less? That's going on the assumption that everyone who claims it to be the same coral is saying Chris took the Pink Floyd and renamed it the Diabolic Pacman. That doesn't make any sense at all.

WayneL333

What's interesting about the lineage thing? Chris > Me > You. Yes Tony was the first. And yes, Brians is legitimate. I can remember him calling me walking out Tony's door when he bought it.

Yeah they look alike. I don't have the Pink Floyd, but just looking at them, they look similar.
Just the story behind the lineage of the Pacman. I never knew it.

WayneL333

Really? I can see why he'd charge less because he wasn't a "company". But, why would he rename it and sell it for less? That's going on the assumption that everyone who claims it to be the same coral is saying Chris took the Pink Floyd and renamed it the Diabolic Pacman. That doesn't make any sense at all.
Well, he sold 'new' corals for a profit so that makes him a company in my book. Anyway, unfortunately these days, it's a pretty common occurrence for a vendor to rename an existing coral to make it their own.

Im not accusing of him doing so by any means. I'm just saying it happens.

WayneL333

Yup, makes sense. When I did first get it from you, it did look like it was a different shade of yellow and the polyp color was even different. But over the last year or so, they grown to look very similar to me.

All Delight

Yup, makes sense. When I did first get it from you, it did look like it was a different shade of yellow and the polyp color was even different. But over the last year or so, they grown to look very similar to me.
You got it from me at Max 2015.

Diablic Pacman (bustayanky) vs Pink Floyd (RR)

I've been growing these two out next to each other and yellows for one are different so far. The DP has a more greenish/yellow tip vs a solid yellow on the PF. The inner bodies are also different, the DP almost gets almost a grey/black inner body whereas the body of the PF turns to a pink/dark burgandy. Those are my observations from the last 3 weeks.

I've been growing these two out next to each other and yellows for one are different so far. The DP has a more greenish/yellow tip vs a solid yellow on the PF. The inner bodies are also different, the DP almost gets almost a grey/black inner body whereas the body of the PF turns to a pink/dark burgandy. Those are my observations from the last 3 weeks.
Could be Pink Floyd 1.0 and Pink Floyd 2.0...just throwing it out there as a theory.

Update: I've been having some alkalinity swings from 8 to 6 lately cause I'm trying to dial in my doser again. Long story short, the frag rtn'd. So here's the new frags:

[MENTION=127]bustayanky[/MENTION] Well.... Will??? Did it merge??

Any update?

Latest posts