Diabolic Pacman and RRUSA Pink Floyd are they the same coral???

So I've heard from a lot of different people that say these two corals are the same and some say they are different. I wanted to test it out to see if they are same species or not. I picked up a frag of Diabolic Pacman from Darrell at All Delight Corals a while back and it seems to be a very quick grower. I also picked up a piece of RRUSA Pink Floyd from Tony at RRUSA and it seems to be a lot slower grower for me. They look really similar.

Both of these corals are under 8 bulb Tek Light T5 (6 blue+, 1 coral+, and 1 purple+) and a Tech Blue Reef Brite strip:
Here's the ADC Diabolic Pacman:

Here's the RRUSA Pink Floyd:

Here's the experiment:

The only thing I can say is that the original Diabolic Pacman lineage from Chris grows very slowly and usually grows much base and the branches grow very slowly
When Chris is moved to Mexico I was taking care of their colony which was pure base as 3 inches with a few branches also can search in the other forum there are a few people who have it and you can look at pics that usually colony have a lot of base and they had it for a long time, compared to your colony your grow really fast
http://reef2reef.com/threads/diabolic-pacman.197683/page-3#post-2825003

Very cool experiment. I've seen both in person in the same tank and couldn't tell it apart neither. Looked the same to me.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
I know which one [MENTION=2546]gumbii[/MENTION] Gumbo likes best....DP obviously.

But seriously folks, maybe it's just my tank but I love the really bright yellow that my pacman has over the mustard yellow pink floyd.

I know which one [MENTION=2546]gumbii[/MENTION] Gumbo likes best....DP obviously.

But seriously folks, maybe it's just my tank but I love the really bright yellow that my pacman has over the mustard yellow pink floyd.
man... i've been wanting to DP for so long... i asked all my homies if they'd dp some hot chick with me, and they acting all gay...

Update: I've been having some alkalinity swings from 8 to 6 lately cause I'm trying to dial in my doser again. Long story short, the frag rtn'd. So here's the new frags:

All Delight

The only thing I can say is that the original Diabolic Pacman lineage from Chris grows very slowly and usually grows much base and the branches grow very slowly
When Chris is moved to Mexico I was taking care of their colony which was pure base as 3 inches with a few branches also can search in the other forum there are a few people who have it and you can look at pics that usually colony have a lot of base and they had it for a long time, compared to your colony your grow really fast
http://reef2reef.com/threads/diabolic-pacman.197683/page-3#post-2825003
This is partially true. You, me, and several others got it from Chris. But I myself have distributed this coral over the last 3 years to more than just a few people. I'd guess at least 10 people locally, and probably the same amount nationally.

But the Diabolic is definitely waaaay less distributed than the pink Floyd. Simply because it's not spread out nationally like the pink Floyd. I know those who got it from Chris early on loss theirs. I know because many of those people actually reacquired it from me.

Mine is an average grower in comparison to other acros.

Last edited: