Purple chalice morphing?

Ive had a chalice for a year now. When I bought it, it was a nice lighter shade of purple. Looked healthy to me. A guy brought it in because of its size. It was like 7"x5" His tank was too small and a nem killed half of it. Since the nem, the chalice was starting to get new growth on the side the nem killed. I bought it because of the price and size it was. At lfs it didn't seem to have any other color in it. It was all purple. In hopes of figuring out what kind it was, I searched Google images and became familiar with the awesome colors and kinds of chalices. The majority had different colored mouths. Mine was all purple under both day and blue night bulb. Kinda made me mad.

A couple months after having the chalice I turned it and realized my sh!ty light (fluval marine and reef) had bleached it.
This was my 1st piece of coral.

Now a year later, I have yet to get the thing back to how it looked. The nice purple. It's been light shades of purple/orange/maroon ever since I bleached the poor thing. Not healthy looking.

But not dead....I wonder sometimes

Through this process Ive been trying my best to learn about everything necessary for coral. In regards to light flow alk mg cal.

Getting the parameters have been a battle. My husbandry has lacked since its in an established system and I haven't wanted to mess my parameters up.

Things have been looking up the last couple weeks with dosing better as far as my water goes. And just doing some tlc. I really feel like I'm getting somewhere.
I cleaned up the tank and have been staring at the chalice. It's like watching paint dry but it's constantly slightly doing somethin lol

On the new growth, the much more healthier purple parts, the mouths are starting to glow brightly. Orageish. Like how a zoa looks under blues. Only 1 real prominent. It's so bright I would have noticed it before. It's skin is kinda greenish in some spots of new growth too.

I have had this chalice under the same light for a year. Moving it every once in awhile, surprised I haven't killed it yet.
It's still not it's nice purple color but has glowing mouths now?! Has it changed with my light and is now going to be colored differently?!

There's the back story lol does this happen often? I've heard the look of the coral changes under different light but, dull purple healthy chalice to the now glowing brightly not so healthy chalice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I can't get a pic of the bright orange mouth. U can't see it in blue pic....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SantaMonica

Premium Member
Supporter
Well if it's growing, then it's doing ok. Conditions might have actually worse in the previous tank, and that's why it was purple.

But since the mouth (where it grabs food) is more purple, I'd say it's just lacking food. Try putting more food particles into your water, especially at night.

Latest posts