T5/LED Hybrid

john0087

Hi all,

New to the forum but not new to reefing. I recently upgraded my 60g tank and decided to go with LED's. Running 2 AI Hydra 26HD.

I love the look of the lights but, as many have stated, it really doenst fill the space.

I was thinking about adding a 3rd Hydra 26, but now I am thinking about doing a DIY T5/LED hybrid.

Just wondering if anyone is running a Hybrid and how they like it, or should I just go with a 3rd AI.

Also, if I go with a T5, can I use a home depot industrial style T5 fixture and run ATI bulbs? If not, I saw a pretty neat retrofit kit on bulkreef supply.

Here is the fixure I saw on Home Depot Website. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-2-Light-High-Output-Multi-Volt-T5-Compact-White-Fluorescent-Strip-Light-ZR-2-54T5HO-MVOLT-GEB10PS/203137160

No reflectors but I could run 4 T5's for the same price as 2 T5's from Bulk Reef.

Not really looking to "save money", just not be wasteful and do it right.

Here is a full tank shot.

HAHA it looks a lot whiter in the pic than it is in person.

Thanks

John

Attachments

go hybrid. I run the hamilton 48" 2 bulb retro fit, but i heard that LET kits are better than hamilton. I wouldnt add another hydra I run 2 radions at 100% & saw decent growth but now with T5s my corals are doing better.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Looks like you have some sticks in there, I'd go adding t5s to your leds. I'd pass on that Lithonia at HD. Without decent reflectors you wont get the par to make them worthwhile. Also check out Hamilton, I think I just got an email about a sale last week.

Ohiostreetz

Reef Fast Eat Glass
My Tank Build
Ai prime at 50% blues and 4 bulb let kit with 3 blue plus and one purple plus. Sps LPS love the lights zoas not so much

john0087

Thanks all. So I am going to go with a DIY hybrid. Leaning towards the LET 2 bulb kit. Also gonna add a single AI prime in the middle just to fill the LED gap.

Time to start designing the fixture.

Smite, yeah I have a vidalia acro, a bta, and just picked up abred dragon frag from vivid over the weekend.

Thanks again. I'll post pics when all done.

Salty critters do the LET T5 cheaper then BRS. I had a problem with my reflectors, called them up and they just sent me new ones. No bs about pics and sending stuff back. Check them out if you want the LETs

john0087

Salty critters do the LET T5 cheaper then BRS. I had a problem with my reflectors, called them up and they just sent me new ones. No bs about pics and sending stuff back. Check them out if you want the LETs
Thanks I'll check them out.

Latest posts