How would you clean my rocks?

Hey guys,

A bit of a question over here, my rocks look absolutely disgusting... As in it is covered in something and I just cant put a figure as to what it is or exactly how to get rid of them without scrubbing my rocks with a toothbrush. Take a look at this picture, let me know what you guys think.

IMG_4456.jpg

Haha classic Clorox :) Kills all hah! Currently Im running GFO in a TLF Phosban Reactor :/ What it looks like is that some of these feather dusters are sticky or excreeting something it gets stuck on the rocks and when i sift through my sand it gets stuck? If my theory is correct how do you get rid of those little guys and their ugly tubes :)

bvysochin

Supporter
2020 POTM
Oak View, CA 93022- about 15 min from Ventura
If snails don't work for you I would try an urchin. They love cleaning rocks. Just be warned they will knock over and or wear loose corals in your tank.

Haha classic Clorox :) Kills all hah! Currently Im running GFO in a TLF Phosban Reactor :/ What it looks like is that some of these feather dusters are sticky or excreeting something it gets stuck on the rocks and when i sift through my sand it gets stuck? If my theory is correct how do you get rid of those little guys and their ugly tubes :)
I believe you are describing vermitid snails. Nasty boogers. They don't harm anything just irritating. I don't know of any natural remedy besides manual removal. Good luck.

I would pull the rock out and dab 3% peroxide with a saturated cotton ball on areas of the rock that have algae you want to get rid of and let it sit for 3 min outside the tank. If you have coral on the rock just be careful and try not to get the peroxide on the actual coral. After 3 min I would rinse in tank water for 5-10 seconds and put it back in the tank. You should see the algae disintegrate or be eaten by your CUC within 2-3 days.

The tube worms will probably be affected by the peroxide so you can try and nuke them with that then seal up their tubes with super glue.

Edit: Just in case, I have done this multiple times when dealing with difficult algae and I have never had any major issues other than burning corals I touched with peroxide (hence the be careful, lol).

Latest posts