Dottyback from hell... Attacking corals and beating up fish, help me get him out

He immediately claimed the entire tank, has decided the Firefish doesn't belong in his tank, and is picking fights with my corals for being there..

I had one before, but this one is batshit crazy.

Best way to trap him? He's gotta go ASAP

protip...

throw a mirror on the end of the bottle trap... he'll think it's anothre one of him, and try to kill it's face off... then won't be able to get out...

I had the same issue with a bicolor, turned out to be a total bastard!!! Killlef Evert fish I tried adding after him, constantly harrasssing everyone that was there before him. Luckily I was able to catch em fairly easy, after I caught him I had the fish net sitting on top of the tank with the net inside the water, and in the blink of an eye he jumped out and committed suicide. Never saw him again, probably glad too. I'm sure it would of been a lot Hardee to catch em a second time

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Don't feed the tank for a day then put some food in the bottle trap and BAM!!We'll be eating dottyback for dinner

With tears in her eyes my gf turned to me and said "You have to protect her", pointing at our firefish, which she named after the both of us.

And that's why I took out all my rocks this afternoon -- to catch the worst dottyback ever. Our poor firefish is in the corner terrified of the rocks still, her and the remaining half of her fins at least -_-

I've had a lot of big territorial fish over the years.. I've had fish that would readily draw blood from me if they got hold of my hand, and they didn't hide when I needed to reach in the tank either.. I've gotta say, not even my big Cichlids had an attitude as bad as that SOB dottyback. The closest I've ever owned was a Tilapia Buttirkoferi that couldn't tolerate seeing other fish

Rakie
What kind of dottyback do you have?

He immediately claimed the entire tank, has decided the Firefish doesn't belong in his tank, and is picking fights with my corals for being there..

I had one before, but this one is batshit crazy.

Best way to trap him? He's gotta go ASAP

I've only seen it twice. Hopefully it isn't going to be like rakie's.
I'm willing to put money it won't be aggressive and that dottyback is always in and out the rocks. Don't except it to be suspended in the water column but it's in and out when food is around.

Dottybacks are aggressive, and typically will decide they own all the rockwork in a smaller tank.. But I honestly believe the Dottyback I had received was more of a dick than the regular ones.

I've got the same dottyback it's purple and yellow half and half.. He hates my gobies and blenny.

Everytime I put zoas on a frag he would swim up and nudge them off, as if he was saying 'Na, don't want those there'.

The only fish he doesn't pick on is my clowns, I would say because they are teamed up.

I've been considering taking him out too and having more peace in my tank.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Latest posts