Reef Octopus hy-5000 replacement

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
After adding my ATS my return seems to be under rated now. I have little movement in my sump and hardly any flow up top from the nozzles.

I'm considering the Vectra M1 by ecotech. I'd like to hear from anyone who as been running them for a while. I like that its smaller than my current return, puts out 700 more gph, seems to have a better head pressure rating and only consumes 20 more watts.

I'd also like any suggestions on low watt/noise/heat returns in the 2000gph range. I don't really care for the control the M1 offers. Seems like itd be great for a closed loop pump but I run too many pieces of equipment off it to use all those features.

Also if anyone has a lightly used one let me know. I'm looking to buy soon, like tomorrow or this weekend. I'm going to check my display temp first thing in the am, curious if the low flow is causing temp fluctuations in the display.

Look in to the Deepwater Aquatics. The BLDC8 has a slightly less rating on head pressure but it's cheaper and uses less wattage. I've been running the BLDC5 on my tank for almost a year now and I like it more than any return pump Ive ever ran.

Aqua excel dc10000 is another inexpensive option. Also do you have pictures of your plumbing/manifold?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Thanks for the quick responses.

I do have them somewhere. Let me dig them up.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Aqua excel dc10000 is another inexpensive option. Also do you have pictures of your plumbing/manifold?

ATS is first (can't really see the gate valve its on the back of pipe before the 90 elbow), Calcium reactor is second followed by my GAC reactor. The UV is feed off the main drain by back pressure. This is where I noticed how little my flow was. I used to have to prime it to syphon by opening the first gate to create some back pressure. Now, I opened the first gate and my flow through the UV was where it would normally be at. Somethings up, i'm going to pull the return apart this morning and make sure there isn't a malfunction.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I should probably make sure that check valve isn't stuck somehow too. Maybe that's my issue.

What you got there is a jumbo of a mess… haha kidding. Form the pics, looks like you are loosing ALoT of pressure. Even though you add a stronger pump, you'll still be in the same position or at a slight gain. What you can do to optimize performance, I would look into adding a gate valve after your manifold. With this route, you would be able to build pressure on your manifold. Of course this all depends on if you like a high or low turn over rate. I myself, prefer a slow (2x-3x) turn over rate.

Vectra are great if you are if you are into brand n can afford the price. Same as deepwater. Save yourself the money and get an aqua excel, at half the cost with same amount of warranty coverage. Best yet we are local to you and live on this community. So when you need help, we are a PM and stone throw away for warranty support. I can help you with plumbing too if you need

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I hear ya on that. I ran out of room for the gate after the manifold. Somethings up though, this had been running fine since December, so I think its the pump. I had no problem getting pressure in my reactors before. I think that's due to the sca tanks dropping down to 1/2 returns which gave me enough back pressure.

Before with the nozzles above water line and the pump kicking on it would splash like crazy, I now have a slow trickle coming out. The impeller on the water blaster looks smooth and has no cracks, I'm thinking its just burnt. I did buy it used over 2 years ago.

Latest posts