Lolling for a new light for my tank

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey ya'll,
I'm thinking about putting a new light on my 60 cube. Right now I'm using a Chinese LED and it works ok. I picked up another led that was supposed to be more powerful but it wasn't and made the tank look really bad. I'm looking for something that will be a bit more powerful and give me more control over colors. I don't have a lot of experience with good lights cause I'm super cheap and have always bought the cheap stuff. Any input would be great.
Thanks,
Russell

Have u thought about running 2 cheap led side by side? I'm sure u gona like it and happy with the result.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Have u thought about running 2 cheap led side by side? I'm sure u gona like it and happy with the result.
I tried that but it's a 24" by 24" cube with a canopy so there's not a lot of room. It didn't intensity the lighting in the tank that much and they were almost side by side. If I did that I may also run into a heating problem.

My Tank Build
I think the radions r worth the money.
Look at it this way. Before leds I ran halides and a chiller. Switched out to leds and dropped the chiller. Some say then u spend more on heaters but I sealed my stand and canopy. This hold the heat better. Then I put fans as exhaust to let the heat out. So when the water gets to 78 the exhaust fans kick on and pull the hot air out. I run 2 300watt heaters on the 300 gallon. And one is a back up in case the first one burns out. So I saved on electricity there.
Then with halides I had to replace bulbs every nine months to a year with LEDs they say they can last up to seven years. so I saved money on replacing bulbs.
Sure radions are expensive. But the savings to me added up to be a smart move.
My radions are about 5 yo and still grow corals well.
Here only cause I love showing off

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
have you thought about building one yourself? I have a RapidLED kit for my 24 nano and it was never running more than 50% cause it was too bright. If you dont like soldering , they sell a premade light also. Call Mike, he is very helpful.

PM sent. I have a 24" led new. Controller and remote. 3 channels - white/colored, blues, moonlight blues. It's perfect for a canopy, since the outer casing is unpainted and has a lip on each end to sit in canopy. It's total of about 24.25" Was going to take apart and do a diy led/t5 hybrid but too much work. $140

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
What about adding t5 retro to your current leds? If it were me I'd go all t5 but that's for sticks and just my preference.

Latest posts