Monti Caps Losing Color!

Help! My monti caps have all been losing a lot of their color lately.. I have a red, purple, neon green, grafted, and seasons greetings. Not sure what to do. I am running a Kessil A360W at about 50%. What could be causing this?

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Might want to test your water, and prey it's not Monti eating Nudibranch .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might want to test your water, and prey it's not Monti eating Nudibranch .

I only have the basic tests, need to invest in phosphate, mag, alk, and calcium tests. I think I'll just take some water to the lfs tomorrow and report what the numbers are on here. I haven't seen any nudibranchs upon close inspection, but I pray that's not the case! How long does it usually take for corals to regain their color?

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Depends on how bad they are at the moment, If it's your water a few weeks, to a couple months depending how bad. you just need to make sure to adjust it slowly back to what it should be to not shock the corals further. Definitely get some good quality test kits especially for the Alk, cal, and mag. Test every other day and adjust accordingly. Once you have it where it should be, test every 3-4days and see what's being depleted and how fast. How big of a tank and are you currently dosing?

Depends on how bad they are at the moment, If it's your water a few weeks, to a couple months depending how bad. you just need to make sure to adjust it slowly back to what it should be to not shock the corals further. Definitely get some good quality test kits especially for the Alk, cal, and mag. Test every other day and adjust accordingly. Once you have it where it should be, test every 3-4days and see what's being depleted and how fast. How big of a tank and are you currently dosing?

Thanks for all of the helpful information, I really appreciate it. It's a 40 gallon AIO cube. Mixed reef with no fish at the moment.

Hi there stability is the key as above you should check your Kh,mag,cal first to see that there where are you want them Plus you could also add Iodine daily as most Monti respond well to it. Good luck.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
1) Alk and ca are typically the most important to routinely test.
2) Pests are always a threat and you should consider Bayer or revive when adding new coral
3) 10-20% water changes generally do not have any downside (Need ro/di water, preferably 0 TDS, salinity around 1.025 and added at same/similar temp, and close to same alk and ca levels)
4) need to test for nitrates and phosphates (goldilocks rule-not too much or too little)

Reef tanks often need fish to provide nutrients. However you can feed a tank without fish to provide nutrients via fish food uneaten.

Latest posts