jbaeza83

Premium Member
Supporter
Last edited:

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I saw the vid in HD and see the bubbles I think mine was doing the same always thought it was my return but now i realize it was the pump, never bothered to check lol just sell it and get an mp40qd ;)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Mine work fine, I don't see any bubbles, you sure your return isn't causing the bubbles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbaeza83

Premium Member
Supporter
It's my gyre. The return has been the same for over a year and never had a bubble issue. They are coming from the gyre. It is so weird because if air was trapped inside I think it would have all escaped after a few hours. It's been about 2 days now.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
It's my gyre. The return has been the same for over a year and never had a bubble issue. They are coming from the gyre. It is so weird because if air was trapped inside I think it would have all escaped after a few hours. It's been about 2 days now.
Maybe emac knows. Forgot his full username

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

My Tank Build
Do u have the paddles correct inside? The paddle if installed backwards will chop up the water instead of pushing the water.

jbaeza83

Premium Member
Supporter
Do u have the paddles correct inside? The paddle if installed backwards will chop up the water instead of pushing the water.
If they are backwards wouldn't the flow just be in the opposite direction? Isn't that what happens when you set the mode to change from forward to backwards? I'll take it apart tomorrow but I still don't see where it's getting air to create so many bubbles.

Mine would create bubbles like crazy every so often. I would turn the power off and wait a minute and then back on and no more bubbles. So not sure if that's the same issue you are having. I've read on reef central that users have experienced the issue you are having. I'll try and find it and link it in another mag

3 maxspec GYRE's are in court. The judge turns to the first one and asks "What were you doing in the ally on the night in question?" the GYRE replies "I was blowing bubbles, sir." then the judge turns to the second maxspec GYRE and asks him the same question to which the GYRE replies "I was blowing bubbles, sir." Then the judge turns to the third maxspec GYRE and says "Let me guess. You were blowing bubbles too." to which the third GYRE replied "No, sir. I is bubbles."

My Tank Build
If they are backwards wouldn't the flow just be in the opposite direction? Isn't that what happens when you set the mode to change from forward to backwards? I'll take it apart tomorrow but I still don't see where it's getting air to create so many bubbles.
No. The cage is designed in a way that if the wrong paddle is in the cage it will not push water properly.
The air is being separated out of the water inside the paddles because it's not pulling in water fast enough as the paddles spin.
Here is a way to make sure the paddles are installed correctly.
First look at the cage. The back side it completely sold plastic no grates for water flow. Then there is a thick bar that runs In between the grates. This is the front. The thin bar that runs between the other grates is the bottom of the cage. The grates on the bottom if where the water enters for the paddles and the single set of grates above the thick bar is where the water is pushed out. Notice how the bottom set of grates there is 2 sets and only 1 on the top. This is so the paddles can suck the water in any a higher rate then what it can push out. So that the air doesn't get separated out of the water when the paddles spin.
Now look through the grates and notice the paddle. On the top set of grates u should be able to look through the paddle and see inside the paddle. On the bottom grates u should only see the the paddles long ways. Like this

This is how a proper paddle, cage combo should alway look like.
Now for kicks look inside the cage with no paddle. Inside behind that thick bar u should see a triangle strip that runs down the length of the cage.

That plastic is actually what makes the whole thing work by separating the water out of the paddles. With out that piece the water would just spin with the paddles inside the cage.
Sorry if it seems like I explained it to much but I remember Steve had his upside down and keep saying these pumps suck then I told him it was upside down and he needed to flip it. After he was amazed on how well it worked.

My Tank Build
I just watched the vid and yes your paddles are installed backwards. I can tell cause the water is coming out of the bottom grates. If they were in correctly the unit would be shooting water up out of our tank. See how the top grate is facing up. Water should be shooting out that grate not the bottom double set of grates.

My Tank Build
Also there is a forward and reverse mode when setting out your controller.
When setting up the pulse mode the first let of LEDs is the flow intensity and direction the motor spins. When spinning the dial in either direction there will be a triangle that points to the direction the motor spins. Then a set of 10 dots above each triangle. Each dot is X10%. So if there is five dots above the triangle then the motor is spinning at 50%. Then if u spin the dial counter clockwise the triangle will switch to the other side witch indicates the motor is now spinning in reverse.

jbaeza83

Premium Member
Supporter
Did u ever get this figured out Juan?
Yes I think I figured it out.

I think I was running the pump too slow and it was somehow accumulating air inside the cages. If I turned it off while it was blowing bubbles it would release a couple of big air bubbles once it stopped. To prevent this I lowered it a little more (from 4" to 5" below the water line) and I increased to speed to about 60%. Its been good for the last 2 days now.

BTW, I have the gyre130. The cages are different than yours. They are both the same, inside and out, so I dont think there is a left or right on the 130's.

Thanks for the tips though.