Any downsides to large water changes? Office nano tank.

I'm planning on setting up a 12 gallon nano with a sump at my office, total water volume of 20 gallons. To make water changes easier, I want to plumb inline a brute trash can on wheels holding another 20 gallons. (I have a way to keep it covered and out of the way.) When I do a water change, I would take the brute offline, roll it down the hall, dump it, fill it, and then bring it back online when it's properly mixed. This would effectively be a 50% water change each time.

Assuming I keep temperature and salinity the same with the tank, is there anything to be concerned with doing this? I was planning on using the ESV 4 part salt mix once a month with RO/DI water. With such big changes is once a month often enough? I'm really looking to reduce maintenance since its at work.

swiftism

Premium Member
Supporter
If your keeping a reef/corals... I think ALK would be a primary concern, be sure to match ALK, CAL as close as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. I will be keeping corals, so that's good to know.

With a protein skimmer and filter socks getting regularly changed, is a once a month 50% water change good?

Only time will tell for sure, but with nano reef tanks i have found more frequent water changes are a big help. I would change the water at least every other week.

In my opinion I think small water changes on a regular basis keeps your stats more stable, but also big water changes are possible but would depend on where are your stats are at the time ie if certain stats have dropped a certain amount In between water changes it could cause problems with stability as already said above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk