Not what you want to come home to!

Left for work this morning everyone happy healthy. 10 hours later come home and every fish in my tank is completely covered in ich! No one has had ich and no new fish... Only thing is I hooked up my ca reactor yesterday could it have been harboring ich somehow in the dry media?????? The entire reactor was washed prior to hook up

I don't know what caused it. All the fish are fed heavy with garlic and selcon so I don't know

I'm sad :(

Fish that I've had 5+ years that have never had ich are covered :(

check if it is dust from your ca reactor instead of Ich. I don't think dried Media have Ich. Ich can't survive in dry condition without host.

Check your ALK and Ca level as well.

If it is Ich then prepare QT tank as soon so you can treat them. Treat at Early stage of Ich is better cured chance.

Now I'm confused this morning the fish don't have it??? I did bump the tank temp up to 78-79 from 76-77

Weird...

Ok I'll keep an eye on it all the fish are eating like pigs and have fat tummies unfortunately I have no way to catch and put all into a qt system I have a small 20g tank set up but can't put all my fish in there and I don't want to stress anyone trying to catch them

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Ok I'll keep an eye on it all the fish are eating like pigs and have fat tummies unfortunately I have no way to catch and put all into a qt system I have a small 20g tank set up but can't put all my fish in there and I don't want to stress anyone trying to catch them
I would add seachem metro/focus to boost their immune system and fight it off.

Fon

something must have triggered the onset of ick in your tank, could it be your newly added cal reactor that has changed the chemistry in the water ? I have never lost an established fish due to ick. Your fish will fight it off on their own if they are still eating and healthy. Again, if I were you, I would just leave them alone.

I really do not think your fish had ich, it doesn't go from no ich to a full blown infestation overnight. I suspect as posted above it was simply dust from the media that you were seeing.

I'm fingers crossed it's just ca rx dust but looking at metro and focus will they hurt the fish if it's not ich?

Also what issues with coral/ shrimp is there with that stuff?

Thank you all