Supporter
i have a 240 gallon lps tank with heavy bioload tons of fish

big ones too, i feed 3 times a day

been running for 4 months now

and my problem is i can get my alpha 200 skimmer to

pull black nasty black skim it always come out like light tea color

its on 8 inch deep of water no restrictions on flow

pls haaaalp! :)

I had this skimmer in the past. Great skimmer. Have you played with the adjustable venturi? I found that 1.5 turn on the venturi was really the sweet spot on my system

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I like to keep my bubble line when right about where the skimmer forms the neck(on your skimmer I would try putting it right where the grey connector is). Then as waste builds up it pushes up a nice dark foam and gives me that real dark green skimate I like to see

Last edited:
My Tank Build
I like to keep my bubble line when right about where the skimmer forms the neck(on your skimmer I would try putting it right where the grey connector is). Then as waste builds up it pushes up a nice dark foam and gives me that real dark green skimate I like to see
In wide neck skimmers this method won't work.

My Tank Build
I say leave it. The Germans believe the wetter the skim the more phosphates u will pull out.
But if your heart is set on a dark coffee skim then I would try lifting it up a half inch or a inch so that u will pull more air into the body.

I had this skimmer in the past. Great skimmer. Have you played with the adjustable venturi? I found that 1.5 turn on the venturi was really the sweet spot on my system
This. I had an Alpha 200 with a red dragon pump and I ran it for years. I loved it! I used to get really thick dark skimmate when the bubble line was half way on the neck between the screw rim and the bottom of the collection cup.

Bart

Had a similar problem with the omega 150. The right baffle should be 8-9" so that when water evaporates you can top off in a separate section of the sump and have a stable depth where skimmer sits. Then dial it in

Latest posts