I Think I Found The Holy Grail of GFO Reactors!

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
To each their own, with the bottom O-ring to prevent leakage on the BM, the metal screws are almost purely aesthetic. I will agree it looks very nice and follows the European styling trend, hopefully it the retail doesn't break the bank given it lacks a pump, crafted and imported from Italy and doesn't self regulate out-going flow.

Well, when you finally nab one, let us know how it goes.
Wally,
maybe you do a video of how you change our the media?

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I find three bothersome issues with gfo changeout

1) removing media reactor from pump and/or tubing
2) removing gfo and then rinsing gfo from reactor and sponges
3) rinsing new gfo once in reactor

These three things seem to make this a tedious, messy project that just takes too long. I always run the outlet from the reactor through an additional filter sock to make sure no "fines" make it into the tank, and that's an additional hassle

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
I find three bothersome issues with gfo changeout

1) removing media reactor from pump and/or tubing
2) removing gfo and then rinsing gfo from reactor and sponges
3) rinsing new gfo once in reactor

These three things seem to make this a tedious, messy project that just takes too long. I always run the outlet from the reactor through an additional filter sock to make sure no "fines" make it into the tank, and that's an additional hassle
Is putting a product like phosphate - e on a doser out of the question? I don't know if it can be done as the bottle suggests shaking before using. But it seems to be the only way around those issues with GFO. Unless the came out with prewashed gfo. Which would be sweet. If a fish store washed with rodi and stored with rodi would the gfo stay good in the water (assuming it's good rodi)?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Is putting a product like phosphate - e on a doser out of the question? I don't know if it can be done as the bottle suggests shaking before using. But it seems to be the only way around those issues with GFO. Unless the came out with prewashed gfo. Which would be sweet. If a fish store washed with rodi and stored with rodi would the gfo stay good in the water (assuming it's good rodi)?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
I believe phosphate e and phosphate rx are both lanthanum chloride and I don't really know if it is appropriate or not. There are lots of long threads on rc both advocating and cautioning about its use. It seems a 10-20 micron sock is advised to slowly drip in in LC. I have a friend in Canada that uses a very slow continuous drip into a very fine sock and has a stellar, as good as it gets mixed reef tank

Pre-washed gfo would be awesome. I think a problem is that rodi water with gfo in it still would likely grow some type of crud eventually. Plus handling gfo leads to more fines. So it seems pre washed still might not work out without more rinsing or other issues.

It's not about aesthetic. It's about thumbscrews being a pain in the ***. I don't see how the Bubble Magus provides an easy way to change media if I have to unscrew thumbscrews to detach the cylinder or remove the entire reactor together with pump to change the media. The reactor I posted has a detachable cylinder that is easily removable to change media. Again, correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I'm not seeing it in the pictures.
Ooohh, you assume its that you have to completely remove the thumb screws. That is not true, its like the bubble magus skimmer, you only LOOSEN the screws and twist the body to remove the media body like that Italian version

I cant get too excited over GFO reactors as the cost of the GFO substrate itself is what is limiting IMO.

& I too have been considering LaCl3. But I feel wierd dosing a rare earth metal compund that was known to cause cancer in miners. Ill let other people try first.

Latest posts