SanClementeEric's 100-Gallon Shallow Reef

Looks good! Are those red mangroves? Was thinking about getting some for my new set up but not sure yet, do you think theyre helpful for filtration or did you get just for looks?

Looks good! Are those red mangroves? Was thinking about getting some for my new set up but not sure yet, do you think theyre helpful for filtration or did you get just for looks?
Thanks! Yes, those are red mangroves. They used to be in the sump. This setup is a combination of a couple systems that I had going and that I wanted to consolidate. I've had them for a long time and I went with conventional wisdom that they do help and wanted to try whatever I could to keep nitrates down. I'm not too sure that they help all that much. When I went with this setup, it was more for looks. Best luck I've had with them is to buy the pods and sprout them yourself.

Nice... looks cool.

Have you noticed that filefish picking at any of your corals?
Thanks! I have not. I'm pretty sure he eats pods around the rocks though. And, he unfortunately does not eat aiptasia, either. :( He loves him some frozen mysis though! He's very social for a normally non-social fish.

Teflon tape = temp fix until I can build the "island" better (will add miracle mud bowl for roots too.)
Also note temp DIY water polisher in the back right. This will come out soon.

I do have a SQWD connected to the returns for back and forth (or should I say side to side) flow.

HAVE BUT LEFT TO ADD:
ATO
APEX
Calcium reactor
Kalkwasser reactor
(Still debating lights, have cheap LEDs currently)
Jebao Wavemakers
Auto Feeder (ordered)

CURRENT FISH, Etc.:
5 - ocellaris clownfish
2 - Black ocellaris clownfish
2 - Clarkii clowns
melanurus wrasse
pink spotted watchman goby
"Gurgle" (Royal Gramma)
File fish
2 - Green Serpent Stars (one lives in sump)
Black Brittle Star
Urchin (I forget who gave me this, but I remember him saying "I've had him a long time")
Long Spine Urchin (lives in sump)
Firefish? (he was doing a lot of jumping and has been MIA for a day, even with a canopy...)
Midas Blenny
4 - Pajama Cardinals
Fire Shrimp
2 - Blue/Green Chromis
5 - Anemone
Various Gorgs, Macros, Mushrooms Leathers, couple torches and some softies.

Still to transfer:
Pipe fish
Yellow/orange tail blue damsel
Melanurus wrasse (there's another still hiding in my other tank's sand, I hope)
Peppermint Shrimp

Note: No SPS yet. Hoping to get the tank dialed in with the apex and then add reactors and then the SPS.

Last edited:
No pressure, but if your looking for lighting I have a 48" 4 lamp PowerModule in really good condition with brand new reflectors for sale. Just throwing it out there!

That's classic the aiptasia eating filefish doesn't eat aiptasia.

Great looking aquascape, curious as to why you went with the black sand. How do you like it?
I had gotten it sometime back from another reefer and was looking for a change. It was used and "peppered" already. I wish it were pure black but I understand that it'll get this way at some point, anyway. I like the look but it has super-fine powder that when working with it, is a pain, covering everything.