Pistol Shrimp doomed without a host goby?

So I keep hearing my pistol shrimp snapping every morning, but have not seen the watchman goby for weeks, not even seeing any mounds around sandbed. Is the shrimp gonna die without the goby to feed it? Think I remember hearing they need one cause they're blind?

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

I lost my host goby a year ago. Up until a month ago the pistol shrimp was fine and dandy. Have not heard him snap since a short period after introducing a melanarus wrasse into the tank... .

I literally never see it and only know he is there because of the snapping. Once in a great while I'll see him bulldozing sand out but never comes out into the open. I did notice his food source was snails and hermits. Cought him trying to pull a snail into his hole a few months back. Explains why alot of empty shells are in that area.

Best of luck, man.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
my pistol lives solo. I see it eat pellets that land its way. You can try to spot feed if you already feed corals

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
My DT is Goby-less and I still hear my Pistol shrimp snap. I think it's been about 6 months since my YWG croaked

swiftism

Premium Member
Supporter
Same here no goby, I use sinking pellets and I see him come out to grab them. It's been around 10 months

ok , thanks guys :) I would spot feed him..but can't find the SOB! Only hear his popping in the morning somewhere in the rock work. Guess he better get good at scavenging lol

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I think those gobies belong in small tanks. I added 3 in my display all MIA, I added 6 in my nano and they are all there.... They even come up to get pellets.

I may pick up another goby.. They are ( well the shrimp is) in my seahorse 40g tank .

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
let me know if you can get them to host. I have a tangaroa golby and they dont hook up :hug:

Latest posts