Who's good with light mods

I got this ecoray 60d and wanted to mod it a bit but don't know about led. I know how to solder so I could do it but don't know about what leds to get I want to add more blue and also put a dimmer on it to dial down the power if need be those are the major flaws I find doing research online any help on where to get leds and what kind of dimmer would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I don't know if that would worth all the effort, but you'll probably have to find similar LEDs the AquaRay uses like similar forward voltages and such due to the limitations of the drivers and power supplies. If it's a Chinese fixture, then most of them use epistar leds that you can find almost anywhere so it's easier to accomplish. For a dimmer, you'll need to replace the driver with dimmable drivers if it doesn't have any and connect it to a potentiometer. Good luck! I'd just much rather buy a new fixture. lol

Well I got the light for 40 bucks and it's going over a s frag tank im building trying to save some cash and learn a few things along the way I found this video but he doesn't say anything about light placement and which blues to get just off of eBay 1 watt 90 lumen https://youtu.be/EoATVzUeSEA

organism

2020 POTM
I wouldn't go that route tbh, they're not stars so you're talking using just diodes which is not easy. Also the optics are pretty meh.

If you start with a subpar light you're going to get subpar results, instead of using it as a base just get a heatsink and enclosure from rapidled and make your own. You're already buying the LED's anyways, might as well have a substantially better product that takes half as long to put together. I have a diy I've been meaning to put up for sale, might be too big for the tank if you were going to put a black box over it though.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
I used rapidled for my 24g nano. Still comes out to about $200 for everything and controller

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

blitz49

Not worth modding that light, since most ebay seller don't sell top bin leds. But if you do choose that route, that you will want royal blue led, and ebay has a ton of China sellers.

The video got my hopes up I guess makes it seem pretty easy to do and low cost upgrade. I don't want to turn it into an amazing light just make it a bit better for a 20 gallon frag tank im throwing together