David's 22g and 8g Build

First off I'm copy and pasting my build from another forum so in this thread the timelines a bit accelerated lol. Anyways, here we go!

Hey all,
So first off I took a break from the hobby when I went on permanent disability in October and now that I've moved to a new house I'm ready to start up a new tank! Definitely lowered the gallonage but want a unique tank.
Right now it's being used as a holding tank for my last breakdown that was in my dads house.
I originally wanted two separate tanks but decided to put them on the same stand and tie them together in theming.
I'm going to have this tank with rock inside and outside the tank and have an 8g nano AIO next to the 22g tied into it.
The 22g is 36x12x12
The 8g is 12x12x12
The stand is 54x24x40 with a granite top

Equipment for 22g is Radion xr30w Gen 3 Pro, Reeflink, heater, apex system, two MP10wes and Reef Octopus Classic 90HOB

Equipment for 8g is Wavepoint 50/50 LED, 90GPH pump and small filter.

The 8g will be a freshwater planted tank with 6 red mangroves and other plants.
The 22g will be a simplistic reef tank with mostly soft corals on one side and chalices and acans on the other. Some small nano fish also will be added. Rocks will raise out of the tank and go on top of the 8g where I'll grow plants on the rocks.

I started this build last night 5/30/16 after about 2-3 months of planning and getting all the equipment. Wanted to plan ahead for this one.

So lots of writing but here's some build photos!
Just the stand being built now.
Have the top, bottom, sides and back done and installed.

Laying out the granite to decide how it'll look. It'll cover the whole top when completed.

Here's the tank while being used as a holding tank

Cat photo bomb lol

That's all for now! Hoping to have stand done by this weekend and in the house.

Sorry for the late update! Last week and half of this week I was in Fresno for CIF State Championships for Track and Field. School took first place so it was a good time!
Back to the tank now....
Got the back of the stand installed and also the dividers on the inside so I can keep this thing organized lol. I still need to paint and install the drawers on the right side but that can be done in the future since I have no use for them now and don't have to rush with paint. Also I laid the granite on the top and used tile adhesive so it can still have flex if for some reason it were to move around. Sides still need to be installed and doors. Doors will be flush with the top to hide the non polished sides of the granite and unpainted wood. Anyways here's some pics!

Busy weekend but moved the stand inside the house and got the tanks on top of it. Did my rockscape for the saltwater tank and installed the light yesterday. I drilled my holes in the stand and cut the granite for cord management. Installed the skimmer, it's a Reef Octopus 90HOB. Great skimmer easy to install and dial in. For my light I have a Radion XR30w Gen 3 Pro. I have one MP10wes on the right side for flow. Apex system runs the whole show with temp and pH probe. Doors and paint are later. Still need to install the FW light over the 8g that'll hang 24" above with chains from the ceiling.
Still need to fix the heater cord also since it's very visible right now.
Here's the pics of the progress!

Did a small 5g water change and got the skimmer finally perfectly dialed in. Not much of a break in period which is nice! Everything is looking great and happy. Fed oyster feast last night which the corals definitely enjoyed.
Found some acans I lost under Rock alittle while back and they're stressed like crazy but starting to stabilize and hopefully make a good come back! Starting to get coralline on the glass so I'm excited :) did some water parameter tests and everything is where it needs to be for now.
Pods galore so next will be adding acouple nano fish!
Also going to start adding zoas at the end of the month. Hit me up if you have some bright frags!
Also looking for a cheap or free float gauge or another type of ATO sensor and aqualifter or equivalent so I can make a DIY ATO system with a 5-10g jug.

And here's some pics from today
Enjoy :)

Alright so all up to date now. Last post was I think two days ago. Hoping to have some new livestock in the tank next week and get the doors and cabinet spaces done.

Thanks all for looking and hope you enjoy!

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Looks like a great start! Keep us updated. Interested to see the 8g planted tank,

Nice tank. I just can't seem to figure out why you are on "permanent disability"?
Sorry for the late reply I wasn't subscribed to my own thread lol and been busy with coaching and work I have been MIA from the forums for acouple days.
I was on permanent disability because I herniated two disks in my back and tore muscles and tendons in my middle and lower back. It took almost two years to heal but I'm back working again which is nice. Missed coaching but happy to be back working and having a tank!

Looks like a great start! Keep us updated. Interested to see the 8g planted tank,
Thanks! Definitely will be updating as it progresses. And I'm excited too because it'll be my first so hopefully it goes how I have it planned in my head lol

Quick update for today. Picked up acouple corals from my buddies at Deep Sea Creations yesterday. I've decided once I get some of the chalices sold so I can change the rockscape on the right to match the left closer I'm going to do sps on the right side. So I picked up my first stick and will start with a frag rack on my back wall for my grow out until I can put the rocks in. If anyone has a cheap or free magnet frag rack pm or text me! Thanks!
Here's some pics

Stupid mp10 ruins side shots lol

let.it.go

Ouch. That gotta hurt. Glad you are OK now

Sorry for the late reply I wasn't subscribed to my own thread lol and been busy with coaching and work I have been MIA from the forums for acouple days.
I was on permanent disability because I herniated two disks in my back and tore muscles and tendons in my middle and lower back. It took almost two years to heal but I'm back working again which is nice. Missed coaching but happy to be back working and having a tank!

Ouch. That gotta hurt. Glad you are OK now
Yea it was a pretty bad 14 months and I'm still recovering but doing much better than before which is always good. Thanks! I'm pretty happy I was able to come off disability definitely a blessing.

Update!
Got home and sun corals finally all happy and open! Super happy. Setting up my fresh water light and hopefully will have plants in next week and some red mangroves. Here's acouple pics of the sun corals

So got tired of the flat open right side of my tank. Yesterday I had the large rock holding my chalices cut up so I can change the rockscape. Shoutout to Kyle at Deep Sea Creations for helping me out with his saw.
I've decided the right side is definitely sps and chalices so can't wait To stock up. Added a new acan, cup coral and acouple zoas for coral and a mandarin goby and blue linckia for fish :) can't wait to fill this tank!
Here's some updated pics

Little night update,
Having a weird morph on the fruit loops, two polyps have this super bright orange morph on them I'm interested in seeing how it'll form.
Long polyps on the sun coral tonight!

Here's my favorite chalice I have, the Jason Fox Crazy Fox

Need some funds for more chalices and zoas! Lol

Been awhile since I've updated this thread, started a new job and been really busy with personal life.
Anyways, on to the tank!
I've been adding corals here and there and cut some bigger colonies up and kept frags to regrow again.
Had to battle a bit of an algae spike but beat it out and now the tanks doing great again! Lots of growth everywhere.
I've added multiple lots of encrusters and Zoas so far.
New inhabitants include:
3x Occelaris Clownfish
1x Green Coris Wrasse
1x Lawn Mower Blenny
1x Peppermint shrimp
(Had a string of aiptasia pop up)
I had a mandarin goby but he decided carpet surfing was better than my tank RIP
Only fish in the tank at the time too. Strange!!

On to some pics!
All taken under my Radion G3 Pro
Set to an automatic white setting so my iPhone can take the pics without blue wash out lol
Corals don't show as colorful but oh well

My Jason Fox Crazy Fox has started to show a dark purple line

That's all for now!
Looking to add an anemone next for the clowns!

Latest posts