Best live rock in So Cal?

Hey guys,

Have any of you had great experiences buying live rock locally? I am looking to buy some live rock and want to support an LFS I have never been to before.

It will depend on each individual store. Many sell Fiji live rock while some sell real reef rock. I wouldn't recommend real reef rock or any manmade rock because it is not very porous.

I have had a good experience buying dried pukani rock from Marine Depot. It ships free too and you can use NOCALTAX. I was very happy with the pieces they had sent me and you can request the type of pieces by indicating if you want a main large piece, or smaller multiple pieces. You'll have to bathe the dry rock in muriatic acid because they have a lot of dead matter on them.

With live rock, depending on source, you risk pests. I bought a chunk of live rock from one LFS and it had one aptasia, which ended up into hundreds later on. For my next build, I will stick to dry rock.

Pukani is perhaps the most porous and lightweight rock and it is really easy to sculpt with.

Thanks for the replies. My last tank i used live rock and it was kinda fun figuring out what creatures came out of it. Although that is not to say there where some frustrations from pests. Any stores besides Ellis have a good amount of dry rock. I would like to see it in person. BRS is a good option i just have already spent so much there so i would like to buy local.

Genoks

Premium Member
Supporter
seaside tropical fish store in huntington beach has a good selection of shelf rocks and random shaped ones

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I always use dry rock and cure it myself. It helps to keep unwanted stuff from making a home in your new tank.

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk

Latest posts