Ellis aquatics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chads_coral_collection

Premium Member
Supporter
Just wanted to say thanks to Ellis aquatics. Bought coral and a pair of yasha / candy cane pistol, some coral, and some water today. Great guy and great prices. Check him out. Names Jayson at Ellis aquatics

I like the idea of this place but after a couple visits the novelty wore off. My trips here have unfortunately gone from really positive to about as negative as it can get.

Getting a frag off of any worthwhile SPS isn't possible, you have to buy the whole colony. No response to PM's or Texts about getting frags either. So basically buy the $100+ colony or f**k off and stop wasting my time. This became apparent when it took him a day to respond to my last text. And in person? Well, nothing better than driving through 50 miles of horrendous traffic to be told no.

Of course, if you're making the trip specifically for something that's "in stock" he makes it easy to text him ahead of time, only to drive that same ridiculous traffic to of course be told oops, it's not in stock. Awesome. So the text saying "okay, I'm on my way to get <that exact and specific thing>" doesn't correlate to "hey, lets hold one of X for that guy who always makes sure it's in stock before driving balls deep into Compton". Nope, that thought certainly doesn't come across.

They do always have a large and disappointing array of POS green Acro's though. Those never sell, always in stock!

I could not be more disappointed. It's a real shame too, some nice pieces come through. But as I learned first hand, literally begging and offering to pay above retail for a frag, or paying instantaneously through paypal if you can pickup at a later date (if say, you happen to have a ****** life or something crazy like that)? Nope. Too bad. Good luck.

TLDR: **** this shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I must disagree with this comment, Jayson was introduced to me by someone in this foroum and he always looked after me.
Don't want to argue on his corals or other stocks but everytime of the day I texted him, he replied straight away.

I gotta say I disagree Tim 100%!! [MENTION=11341]Rakie[/MENTION] sounds like your just having a temper tantrum cuz something didn't go your way lol I been to jayson's quite a few times and I would say every visit is a good one. You can't beat his prices, even on the sps mini colonies. Have you ever thought that maybe he has a life, job, etc., and that's why he can't reply immediately?? Jayson is a super cool dude, yea he doesn't always respond right away sometimes but that's the way it is, you can't expect him to be on stand by for you. I was just there this past weekend, hung out there for an hour or so sharing knowledge, mainly learning new things as we were discussing issues I had with my tank and he was generous enough to give me advise! I encourage peeps to go check em out!!

I like the idea of this place but after a couple visits the novelty wore off. My trips here have unfortunately gone from really positive to about as negative as it can get.

Getting a frag off of any worthwhile SPS isn't possible, you have to buy the whole colony. No response to PM's or Texts about getting frags either. So basically buy the $100+ colony or f**k off and stop wasting my time. This became apparent when it took him a day to respond to my last text. And in person? Well, nothing better than driving through 50 miles of horrendous traffic to be told no.

Of course, if you're making the trip specifically for something that's "in stock" he makes it easy to text him ahead of time, only to drive that same ridiculous traffic to of course be told oops, it's not in stock. Awesome. So the text saying "okay, I'm on my way to get <that exact and specific thing>" doesn't correlate to "hey, lets hold one of X for that guy who always makes sure it's in stock before driving balls deep into Compton". Nope, that thought certainly doesn't come across.

They do always have a large and disappointing array of POS green Acro's though. Those never sell, always in stock!

I could not be more disappointed. It's a real shame too, some nice pieces come through. But as I learned first hand, literally begging and offering to pay above retail for a frag, or paying instantaneously through paypal if you can pickup at a later date (if say, you happen to have a fucking life or something crazy like that)? Nope. Too bad. Good luck.

TLDR: **** this shop.
Been going to Ellis for close to 4 years now & I have no idea what you are Talking about. As far as him not getting back to you did it ever come to you that he might get hundreds of txts a day. Ive witnessed his phone going off but even then he still replies pretty quick. About him not wanting to frag you certain sps maybe it was just you because I've also witnessed him pull out the colony & frag it on the spot for those ppl who MUST have it

Like I said, maybe I'm just unlucky, or he doesn't like me. But nothing has ever worked out for me with this shop after my first visit. Time and time again, i've been told no, or made the trip to get something that wasn't there.

You can disagree all you want -- But these are my first hand experiences. I'm either extremely unlucky, or the dude is trolling me.

Like I said, maybe I'm just unlucky, or he doesn't like me. But nothing has ever worked out for me with this shop after my first visit. Time and time again, i've been told no, or made the trip to get something that wasn't there.

You can disagree all you want -- But these are my first hand experiences. I'm either extremely unlucky, or the dude is trolling me.
you better watch out before noah bans you...

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
you better watch out before noah bans you...
Why? He is giving his honest opinion, nothing wrong with that. Not everyone can be pleased. He had a bad experience that's all, one review doesn't define a LFS in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Why? He is giving his honest opinion, nothing wrong with that. Not everyone can be pleased. He had a bad experience that's all, one review doesn't define a LFS in my opinion.
I agree completely, with the caveat that it was multiple bad experiences. Although regardless of what happened to me, I'm stoked my fellow reefers have gotten all they wanted from this shop and whole heartedly hope that the trend continues for the rest of you!

But personally, after repeatedly being let down I couldn't not throw in my two cents. I'm not normally such a whiner, but this shop has wasted a lot of my time. I've sadly spent more on gas getting to and from here than I have at the shop itself, and that is not for lack of trying. Trust me, I wish that wasn't the case, or I wouldn't have kept visiting after my first few let downs.. From all your reviews it sounds like I just got unlucky and fell through the cracks time and time again.

And to anyone who doubts my sincerity or stream of bad luck from this shop -- I opted to bow out from the Acan challenge because they came from EA, and because the prize was a GC to Ellis. Like it or not, that says a lot about my experiences here.

Hopefully the rest of you guys all have positive experiences.

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
[MENTION=11341]Rakie[/MENTION]
I apologize you have not been satisfied with our services, and even what seems to be pretty upset. I normally would like to maturely talk about issues in person, or over the phone, or even text, but I feel the need to clear up a few things mentioned. (Although I will not be referring to any specific interactions with you specifically, because I do not know specifically who you are due to volume of customers, nor do I have your phone number to reference any interactions with you.)

1. You spoke of it being necessary to purchase an entire colony because getting a frag is impossible:
We do not offer frags on NEW colonies for a minimum of a few days up to even a few weeks depending on species, and condition of the piece. It is general good husbandry to not frag a piece that is brand new to a system, and even being in an aquarium vs the ocean for the first time. If a customer decides they want to purchase the colony as a whole that is acceptable. This is a policy we follow regardless of who you are, what you look like, good vs bad customer, or how many miles/minutes you traveled, and how bad you want or willing to beg for one. Basically NO frags on NEW colonies for a few days minimum for ANYONE.

2.You spoke of no response to PM or TXT:
I just glanced at Novembers totals for TXT messages (phone) and I sent 27,135 messages and received 32,331 messages (these totals do not include SCR, IG, FB, email or any other form of communication). I think these numbers speak for themselves but basically I am at almost all times in contact with 5-10 people putting together orders, giving advice, giving quotes, giving advice, trouble shooting, or giving advice, etc. If I don't respond within the first 30-60 minutes you can assume I am swamped and will get back to you ASAP. Average response time is under 30minutes, but occasionally can be as high as 24 hrs. You may think 24hrs is unacceptable but I can assure you that I will make every attempt to get back to you during REASONABLE HOURS (7a-9p), but I will not budge on the fact that no matter who you are or how much you spend I will always put my family time ahead of the business. My response time may also be slower than is acceptable to you but how many businesses out there even offer a service where you can txt the owner.

3. You state "So basically buy the $100+ colony or f**k off and stop wasting my time":
I can assure you a colony we sell for $100 probably was purchased for $75-80 wholesale, and after Uncle sam collects his cut, cost us $82.50-$88 so our $100 price tag is a steal. Also the aspect of fragging is much more profitable. We can frag that same $100 colony and make $150-$200 with as little as an hour invested into labor, so fragging a piece would not be a waste of my time.

4 "This became apparent when it took him a day to respond to my last text.":
Already responded to on number 2

5. You state "They do always have a large and disappointing array of POS green Acro's though. Those never sell, always in stock!":
As many people know who deal in SPS at all in this hobby, many SPS brown out or green out when introduced into an aquarium. This is a normal part of the process of transfer, which is usually followed by coloring up. As far as "POS green acro" we have to have an array of all price ranges and rarities for all budgets. Although the $25 green acropora colony may not interest you, someone who is getting into SPS will gladly take a colony for $25 to test it out vs a $25 booger from anywhere else. In addition 90%+ of customers buy based on the look of a piece and do not care if it is a POS acro for $25 or a Jason-Bread-ULTRA-LE-Certified-Bonafied Chimichangas' Loch ness's hairy toe jam for $500 per half inch. Simply put POS to you is like finding gold to someone else who doesn't play the name game or care about rarity.

6. you state "some nice pieces come through. But as I learned first hand, literally begging and offering to pay above retail for a frag" etc:
There is a reason we keep so busy, and get so many nice pieces and why we are so busy and slower to respond sometimes and that is because we get 3-7 shipments a week, usually at least 2-4 of those we get first/cherry pick also. The begging and paying above retail etc was explained in number one but applies here: doesn't matter who you are, how much you spend etc etc etc everyone is equal and will be directed back to our policy on fragging new pieces.

7. "TLDR: **** this shop":
Sorry you feel this way because you drove so far and I didn't frag you a piece of colonies you wanted. I still don't feel we earned that kind of response though.

TL;DR: Ellis Aquatics: the LOWEST prices, the HIGHEST quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts